UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, July 17, 2008

Corey Nielsen, Skills Camp, Sione, Kiel

Stephen Tsai profiles QB Corey Nielsen, who talks about committing to UH.
"It feels great," said Nielsen, who participated in UH's Skills Camp yesterday at the school's grass practice fields. "This feels like home already."

Nielsen made his decision Tuesday night.

"I told my friends and family I was going to commit," Nielsen said. "They told me: 'Congratulations. I'm so excited for you. This is what you've always wanted. It finally comes true. I'm happy for you.' "
Nielsen talks to Jason Kaneshiro about growing up a UH fan.
"I've been a big fan ever since Timmy Chang was here and I'm excited to be a part of the Coach Mack era," said Nielsen, who made annual trips to Hawaii to visit. "I was watching every game. I had my grandma tape the games for me and send them back so I knew what was going on."
======

Stephen Tsai has photos from the UH Skills Camp, and news about Earvin Sione and Matty Kiel:
Earvin Sione, a 2008 McKinley High graduate, is expected to delay enrolling at UH until January, enabling him to add bulk to his thin 6-foot-5 frame.

Sione then would be able to participate in spring practice and, after that, have five years to play four seasons.

Sione is expected to compete at wideout or safety. He also received permission to play for the Warrior volleyball team.

Wideout Matt Kiel, a transfer from Cabrillo College, is expected to redshirt this season. KIel also will play for the Warrior volleyball team. Kiel arrived in town this week. He participated in 7-on-7 unsupervised football workouts yesterday.
======

And Ferd Lewis contrasts season ticket demand in Hawaii and in the South.
While UH officials expect to sell about 25,000 season tickets — and are excited about the prospect of perhaps a 10-percent boost from last season — their two Southern bookends on the schedules, Georgia and Florida, are turning away people.

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought I would post this because it was interesting--another old article.

    I think I heard one sportscaster yesterday saying that Corey's father was a former NFL, CFL quarterback--I could be wrong, maybe bad ears (at least that is what my wife always says but funny, I can't hear her). Then today one newspaper says that his father is some martial arts guy--I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. Not sure what to believe. Only found that his mother is from Hawaii with relatives here that should help make him very comfortable coming here.

    Anyway, he seems made for UH's offense--hope he does well in the future.

    http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep/26/sports/sp-hsblogs26

    VARSITY TIMES - The view from the Insider

    By Martin Henderson, Eric Sondheimer, Dan Arritt, Mike Terry, Jaime Cárdenas, Austin Knoblauch, and Lauren Peterson
    September 26, 2007

    FROM LOS ANGELES COUNTY

    Cerritos Gahr’s no-huddle, shotgun-formation is being run with aplomb by junior quarterback Corey Nielsen, who spent part of a two-week summer vacation in Hawaii in 2006 throwing the ball around with Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan.

    Nielsen’s uncle, Jon Nielsen, is the quarterbacks and receivers coach for Gahr and a former NFL, CFL, Arena League and XFL player who knows Hawaii Coach June Jones… . The Gladiators’ offense, which includes an abundance of screens and shovel passes, is patterned after pass-happy Hawaii’s.

    “The whole scheme is challenging because you’ve to throw the ball around all over the place – show that you’re not going to focus on any one guy,” Nielsen said. “But we all know what we’re doing. We expect to score every time we have the ball.”

     
  • At Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:08:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good stuff Fuzzy. When watching the videos I got the feeling that Corey will be very comfortable with the UH offense. I did notice that had most snaps in shot gun, but did take a few from under center. He should also be happy that his recruiting class includes Stutzmann who is a big fast target.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **