UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Sunday, February 01, 2009

Commits, James Smith

Paul Honda takes a look at the Hawaii high school athletes who are committed to UH and other colleges around the country. He also writes that Farrington DB James Smith is hoping to join UH if he can get a good SAT score and pass Algebra II.
At 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, his play at safety was one of many defensive strengths for the Governors. Several of his teammates, All-State selections in their own right, will play at junior colleges this fall. For Smith, JC is Plan B.

"If I take the junior college route, I'd have to wait two years (to graduate). You only get three years of D-I experience," he said. "I want to go straight to UH and get my experience, build my confidence."

Warriors defensive backs coach Rich Miano has been Smith's link to Manoa. Miano is still one of the school's greatest walk-on stories, arriving from Kaiser, developing into a starting safety with All-WAC honors before leaping into a long NFL career.

"He likes the way I play," Smith said. "My techniques and the way I get over the top."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **