UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, November 15, 2008

Warriors in the Pros: Reunions

Paul Newberry of the AP profiles Falcons kicker Jason Elam as he prepares to face his old team, the Denver Broncos.
"It's just weird. That's the best way to describe it," he said. "I was watching film on those guys, seeing my buddies on film from this side, learning how we're going to attack them. It is very different."

During his time in Denver, Elam tied the NFL record with a 63-yard field goal, scored at least 100 points every year and had at least 15 game-winning kicks in the closing minutes. He parted from the Broncos on good terms in what was largely a financial move, even helping the kicker who replaced him, Matt Prater.
4uhfan finds this article about Davone Bess from the Miami Dolphins website. Bess talks about how much he's contributed this season as he prepares to face the Raiders, a team he grew up watching.
"To be honest, that was always my deep, deep inside goals, to always come in and compete and be a part of the team making plays, but I kept them in perspective," Bess said. "Realistically, I didn't think I'd be where I'm at right now, so I'm here and I'm just trying to build off it, continue to get better and help the Dolphins win games."

It just so happens this Sunday he will try to help the Dolphins beat the team that he grew up loving in the Raiders.
And Rams linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa talks about facing his former coach Mike Martz and former teammate Isaac Bruce.
(On what he is going to say to 49ers WR Isaac Bruce if he has the opportunity to tackle him)
“I want to actually hit him pretty well. Seriously, I do. I want to hit him pretty well. I know he’s going to come out and going to try to prove something and we don’t want that. It’ll be good to see him do well, but not against us, definitely. So when I hit him, I’m not going to say anything, because I want to hit him again and hit him again and I’ll say something to him after the game.”

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 4:39:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know Jason Elam is one of the greatest players to have played for UH and has been followed greatly in his NFL career.

    What's disappointing though is that as far as I know, he hasn't yet given anything back to UH. I don't expect ex-players to be charities in any way since they have to take care of themselves and their family first. But considering Elam's success and the amount of money that he has made in his NFL career, it would be a nice gesture to do something like setting up a scholarship fund the way A.C. Carter did.

    Understandably, he has his charities and donations in Georgia since that is where he grew up but not doing anything for the only university that offered him a scholarship is sort of disappointing. And this seems to be the case with many successful ex-UH players which leads me to believe this may be the lack of outreach by UH to foster a real alumni relationship.

    UH's version of this is to cold call alumni, do the "sell" of asking for a contribution, a followup mailing asking for your contribution, and then you never hear from them again except when they do another drive as was my experience when they did their fundraising for the universities 100th year anniversary. So I can see how that might be a turnoff.

    Since A.D. Jim Donovan is an alumni, I'd like to see him reach out to these former players and start building a relationship in this area.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **