UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Monday, January 14, 2008

JJ Quotes

Michael Tsai has a recap of June Jones' press conference.
Jones said he first spoke with SMU five days before the Sugar Bowl but deferred talking about specifics because he wanted to focus on the game.

SMU eventually offered Jones $10 million over five years. UH made three last-minute counter-proposals, including one that specifically addressed Jones' concerns about funding and facilities.

Jones said he agonized over the decision. After flying to Dallas and meeting with school officials, Jones said he still was undecided.

"Right down to the 11th hour, I wasn't ready to go because of my attachment to friends and people here," Jones said. "I really thought this would be my last job."
Jones said he thinks the undefeated season and Sugar Bowl appearance provided ample evidence that a successful football program is a boon to the state. His eyes watered briefly as he recalled the thousands of UH supporters who flocked to New Orleans to attend the Warriors' first-ever BCS bowl game.

"That was very moving to everyone who was there," he said. "That was a taste of what football can do for the school. I think people need to never forget that football can be the best ambassador for the school."
June Jones speaks of his time in Hawaii in this article by Dave Reardon:
Anyone watching closely should not be too shocked that Jones is gone. He wanted to leave after a tumultuous 2004 season, but then an old partner rode into town.

"I was very frustrated going into 2005. If Jerry Glanville hadn't come, I wouldn't have been part of the undefeated part of it," Jones said. "Jerry made it fun again for me. He relieved a lot of the things that frustrated me. He did it with smiles and laughter."

Jones did not seem to find much joy during the just-completed 12-0 regular season. The pressure of putting it together was all-encompassing. And then the issues of lack of support from the university and the state came up again, the ones that pushed him out of Hawaii and to SMU.

"I have not had any time to enjoy the moment," he said.
In another Reardon article, Jones talks about the Sugar Bowl loss and endorses Greg McMackin.
"We talked, talked to him again today, and met with him. I want what's best for Hawaii," Jones said. "I'll survive and find another coach if he does not come that will allow us to win and do what we need to do at SMU. I have great confidence in that."

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, January 14, 2008 at 11:23:00 AM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What else is Jones gonna say about McMackin? I am upset that he decided to stay and not follow me to SMU. I hope that McMackin has no problems getting the HC job. Cause with all SMU's money.....they can throw wrenches into the wheels that are moving. Keep the rest of coaching staff alone Jones! Kudos to the rest of the staff that are deciding to stay back. Jones probably came back to intice Mac to go back to SMU for more $$$.

     
  • At Monday, January 14, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    JJ is clearly back to pick up the rest of his staff for SMU, and put pressure on the UH coaches to go with him. This, however, may not be a bad thing, just like him leaving.

    While SMU can give more $$$ and a lower cost of living in Texas, I think McMackin could get more $$$ at UH as head coach. Plus, if McMackin does good, now he could be considered for a job in the BCS conferences or somewhere else for really big bucks.

    I hope UH realizes that JJ can now and in the future steal UH coaches. No blame JJ, blame UH. UH better step up with the $$$ for all of the coaches. If UH can give UH coaches good pay and more than WAC comparables, many UH coaches probably will not leave.

    If JJ did not leave, UH would have no incentive to make changes for the Athletic complex. With JJ gone, UH has to do something now.

    I believe that JJ truly looks after the best interests of the UH coaches and again can be doing some good for the coaches who stay. I still wish JJ well, and thank him for putting up with all the UH crap for 9 years. If it was me, I would have been fired after the first year for punching out the AD, UH President, and Gov. for broken promises.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **