UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, August 05, 2006

Too Much Information

There is so much news. So much news! And that's a good thing. First off, here's a video interview with June Jones by the Honolulu Advertiser. I can't post a workable link to the Advertiser's javascript pop-up window, so I'm embedding the video instead.

UPDATE:
Okay, I took out the embedded video because it loads every time someone views the page even if they don't watch it. Don't want to get in trouble with the Advertiser's IT department! Anyways...

The original link to the video can be found at the top of this Stephen Tsai article, which is about the first day of practice. 82 of 104 players completed the annual 10 sprints of 220 yards, which is the highest success rate of strength coach Mel deLaura's six year tenure. Stephen also talked to some players, including Tyson Kafentzis.
Kafentzis said: "I had to go home (to Washington) for the summer because I can't afford to live here, being a walk-on and all. I went home, and mom fed me. I'm really working hard."

Kafentzis said he worked a construction job during the day, then trained in the late afternoon and evening.

"You have to do what you have to do," he said. "I love being here. I wouldn't change it. If I have to be a walk-on for five years (to play here) ... that's what I've got to do. I don't want to be (a walk-on), but I love playing here. There are a lot of guys (on scholarship) who aren't going to be playing. I'm a walk-on, and I'm playing."
He also got Ian Sample's reaction to getting his extra year from the NCAA.
While waiting for the NCAA's ruling, Sample said, "pessimism did creep in my mind a little bit. I stayed optimistic. The people who knew the best were reassuring me. They didn't say 'no,' so that was a good thing. ... When I found out (yesterday) morning, (slotback) Davone (Bess) was making fun of me. He said I had a smile on my face about eight miles long."

Bess said: "He had a big Kool-Aid smile, which means his cheekbones were from ear to ear. I'm happy for him. He put in a lot of work all summer. He was out here all summer catching balls with us, running routes. He was hungry. I saw a new Ian from last summer to this summer. It would have been disappointing if he didn't get (the waiver)."
Jason Kaneshiro of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin (also one of the best papers in all the land) got another angle on Sample getting the news:
In fact, the Warriors receiver arrived at his position meeting yesterday morning expecting to watch the opening workout from the sideline.

That's when coach June Jones walked in bearing news of his future.

"I thought he just wanted to talk about me not being allowed to do things with the team and stuff like that," Sample said. "But he said, 'you got it.' "

"It" in this case, was a long-awaited waiver to the NCAA's five-year rule, granting Sample another season of eligibility.

"And then all the receivers started clapping and I realized I actually did get my year back," he said.
Congratulations again to Ian. The stars seem to be aligning!

Going back to Stephen Tsai's article, we hear news about The Juggernaut, aka "Reagan Mauia". He did not complete the 220s but is nevertheless in shape after losing 75 pounds in the offseason. He now weighs 285 pounds and will be an unstoppable force from the backfield this season. June definitely gotta draw up some Power I plays to take advantage of Reagan and Nate. That would be fun to watch!

Also, placekicker Dan Kelly won't have trouble with the NCAA limiting the tee to 1-inch this season.
"The only time I used the 2-inch (tee) was when I did high kicks, like to (USC's) Reggie Bush," Kelly said. "Throughout high school and at UH (as a freshman last year), I went with the 1-inch (tee). I'm used to it."

Kelly said the lower tee will affect the kickers who were "booming the ball to the back of the end zone. ... It'll be a culture shock to them. I like the 1-inch (tee). It's more of a soccer style."
Dave Reardon talks to the players and coaches during the first practice of fall camp. Here are a couple quotes.
"Coach Jones put in an inspirational video for us, he did a lot of good things to set the tone for us for where he wants to take us this year," junior quarterback Colt Brennan said after yesterday's 2-hour practice, which included the annual conditioning runs.

"I was here last year when he said we're going to have a great team, and that's what you're supposed to do when you're the coach. But this year we're something different, where you could see everyone was paying attention. There's a lot of opportunity for us to do something great this year, to break some barriers."

...

"I feel really confident," (Tyson) Kafentzis said. "I felt like we were ready to turn the corner at the end of the season. Then in spring ball everyone was jelling. And we're just flying around. We don't have to think anymore. Just react and play. The second year in Coach Glanville's system is so simplified, it's a defensive player's dream."
Definitely gets you hyped up for the season!

And finally, though there is probably more still out there, the Star-Bulletin talks to Jason Ferguson, who is being realistic about his surgically repaired knee.
"It's definitely feeling good, but I'm taking my time. I really want to come back for the first game, but realistically not before the middle of the season. That's my goal. Just to be able to come back and be healthy. So worst-case scenario, we shoot for next year, and I know next year I'll be a thousand and fifty percent. If this were my first time I'd probably be more anxious. But I already used two lifelines. I don't have another one."
Good luck to Jason, and let's hope the injuries are kept at a minimum for all players during fall camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **