UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Colt at the Senior Bowl, Miano, Tuiasosopo, Heun, Etc. (w/UPDATE)



The Advertiser has an article about Colt Brennan participating in the Senior Bowl. Dave Reardon writes that Saturday's game will be shown on the NFL Network, which many people don't have.

Colt Brennan took part in his first Senior Bowl practice yesterday. Here are some articles about that:

From Calvin Watkins of The Dallas Morning News:
Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan surprised several NFL teams at the Monday morning weigh-in. Brennan weighed 186 pounds, down from his playing weight of 190 pounds. Brennan said he had a stomach virus last week.

"It was real disappointing for me," he said. "I got the stomach flu when I was in California, and I guess I thought I could get it all back."

Brennan has two more weigh-ins, at the National Scouting Combine and at Hawaii's Pro Day. Brennan said he would like to get between 205-210 pounds.
From NFL Draft Countdown:
Brennan did really gun the ball at times and showed nice touch on the very short stuff, but he really had to wind and step into medium and deep passes. He was also really leaning into many of his throws such that the release point appeared to be very low. As a result, many of Brennan’s throws were wild high or wide.
Here's an analysis from Steve Megargee of Rivals.com.
"I'm one of those quarterbacks that's a big question mark," Brennan acknowledged Monday after his South team completed its first practice. "I can be rising up the draft board or falling down depending on how I show up and execute."
That's why so many scouts will be watching Brennan this week to see how he adjusts now that he's lining up under center instead of working out of the shotgun on every snap.

"They want to see you take the ball under center, drop, set up, read the defense and make the play," said Frank Coyle of www.draftinsiders.com. "You don't have to do that when you sit in the 'gun.' "
There's a lot more from that article. Here's another Rivals.com article in which Brennan talks about June Jones' departure and the hiring of Greg McMackin.
Although Brennan criticized the way Hawaii allowed Jones to leave, he praised the school for selecting former defensive coordinator Greg McMackin as its new coach.

"He understands the program, understands the culture and people really well," Brennan said. "The players will react really well to him because he was probably the players' coach of all coaches."
UPDATE: Chawan Cut also uploaded an interview with Colt from a report by KFVE's Jason Tang:



======

Stephen Tsai writes about Rich Miano being in line to become associate head coach.
"I firmly believe in the University of Hawai'i," Miano said. "I'm an alumnus."

He said his background makes it easier to speak to UH prospects.

"When I talk to a recruit, he knows I'm not a hypocrite," Miano said. "I played for the school, and I'm proud of that. I've graduated from the school. I'm proud of that. I think the world of the state of Hawai'i. I have a hard time faking something. If I don't truly believe in it, I can't sell it. I believe in this, and it's easy to sell."

With the expected new title, Miano will retain his roles of coaching the defensive backs, coordinating the walk-on program, and serving as the pro-football liaison.
Also from that article, Tuiatua Tuiasosopo talks about becoming a Warrior:
"Coach Mack is a really good coach," he said. "I see UH keeping up its winning ways. I met all of the players. I asked them why they chose UH. They told me: 'When you play for UH, you play for the whole state. When you play for Oregon State, you're only playing for Corvallis. The whole state backs up UH. When we're up, they're up. When we're down, they support us.' "
Ron Wilmot of the Anchorage Daily News profiles UH recruit Jake Heun.
Heun also seriously considered Nebraska, among other schools, but the Cornhuskers wanted him only as a linebacker. Hawaii offered the prospect of playing running back. That, plus the thought of palm trees and beaches, led Heun to choose Hawaii.

"It doesn't get much better than living and playing in Hawaii," he said.
Heun also talks about vacationing in Hawaii during the holidays.
"It seemed like the whole island, the whole state, was into (the Warriors)," he said. "I've been in college towns, but I've never seen an entire state get into a team like that."
Ferd Lewis writes a trifecta of articles -- one about pay-per-view doing well this past year, another about how UH plans to hire a new athletic director in "four to six weeks", and finally a column about how that can't come soon enough.

2 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 9:27:00 AM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tombo,

    More great work.

    I heard Brennan on Bobby Curran's show this morning. Brennan seemed up beat and thought he was doing well, despite the high learning curve. There seems to be a buzz that Brennan can play despite the knocks against him.

    I hope he kicks some rear-end at the Senior Bowl. Gotta love Colt for staying. I hope it gives him a leg up in competition because now he has more experience.

    I am glad that we are winning some recruiting battles. I hope the recruits realize that this past season awoke the State. It is only going to get better. Someone should give the recruits the video of the parade and the Boise game. I'm not sure if the other fans get behind their team like we do for the Warriors. How many fans support a losing program like we did through the Von Oppen years, and gave standing Ovation for a bowl loss like we did at the Sugar Bowl?

     
  • At Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 1:30:00 PM HST, Blogger Tombo Ahi said…

    i loved the quotes from tuiasosopo and heun in the above articles. glad to know that the fan base is continuing to grow despite the loss to georgia and the loss of june jones. thanks for the news from the bobby curran show. glad colt remains confident and upbeat.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **