UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Monday, January 21, 2008

Recruiting News, Parade, Colt's #1 Fan

Stephen Tsai writes about the recruits who committed to the Warriors this weekend. In addition to Geordon Hanohano and Haku Correa:
Lewis Walker, a cornerback from Judge Memorial High in Salt Lake City, also accepted a Warrior scholarship offer.

What's more, All-State offensive lineman Tui Tuiasosopo of Saint Louis reportedly has made a verbal commitment to UH.

And Damien safety Christian Vasconcellos reaffirmed his UH commitment.
Walker will help boost the defensive secondary that lost three starters.

"I'm a Warrior," said Walker, who is 5 feet 11 3/4 and 170 pounds.

He has been timed sprinting 40 yards in 4.49 seconds.

Walker attended the invitation-only Nike combine in Eugene, Ore., where he was named the most outstanding defensive back.
More details about Tuiasasopo, Vasconcellos and the others are in the article.

Dave Reardon Paul Honda covers this weekend's commits as well. Hanohano talks about Coach McMackin:
The Star-Bulletin All-State first-team selection gave Hawaii his word during a meeting with new head coach Greg McMackin.

"He's a really good person and he seems sincere with everything he said. He's not just talking to you like you're just another recruit. He means everything he says," Hanohano said.
And from Correa:
"I felt like the Hawaii coaches believe in me. I trust them and trust that they can take me to the next level," Haku Correa said.
UPDATE: Tui Tuiasosopo confirms his commitment.
Tuiatua Tuiasosopo, an All-State offensive guard from Saint Louis School, confirmed his verbal commitment to UH.
He received offers from Oregon State and Cal, but "after visiting UH, it made me want to stay home. It was a tough decision to commit, but it was the right decision."
And from PIAA:
Tui stated "I felt at home with Coach McMackin, he truly believes in my abilities as a player and even hinted that he could help me and UH could help me go onto the next level which was the NFL. I know at UH Coach McMackin, Coach Cal Lee, Coach Lumpkin and the entire UH Coaching Staff will take good care of me. Coach Cal Lee was the one recruiting me heavily along w/Coach Lumpkin. I was told that I have the highest GPA amongst all of the UH recruits with a 4.2 GPA. My parents are proud. I had a great time on my recruiting trip."
======

Suzanne Roig writes about yesterday's "Parade of Champions" in Waikiki.
Elishia Chun, a 13-year-old Kaimuki Middle School student, dragged her uncle to the parade yesterday so that she could see her favorite player, Jacob Patek, No. 31, a Warrior defensive player. Chun and her uncle arrived at Fort DeRussy early so they could get a good viewing spot. They planned to attend all the events of the Parade of Champions, which included entertainment and a movie at Sunset on the Beach outlining the 2007 UH football season.

"I had to beg my uncle to bring me," Chun said. "No one wanted to come to Waikiki. They figured it was too crowded."

Nearby was Mililani resident Tess Calma and her family. They brought homemade signs supporting new UH football coach Greg McMackin.

"We just can't get enough of them," Calma said.
The article also has links to video and photographs from the parade.

Here's a news segment about the parade from KGMB's Lisa Kubota.

And the Star-Bulletin has a follow-up to the story of Ernest A'ana.
A'ana, 70, who had liver cancer and a stomach aneurysm, insisted on traveling to Louisiana to watch the UH Warriors play and to visit a daughter in Florida.

He attended the game but was taken off a return flight for medical reasons and died Jan. 5 in Atlanta from complications to his aneurysm.

Brennan heard about A'ana's story and sent his family a package that contained two souvenir photos signed and inscribed to "my number one fan."

"It was wonderful," said A'ana's daughter Shanita Akana of Ewa Beach. "We were really appreciative."

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **