UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, April 28, 2007

Samson Gets Drafted

Samson Satele just got drafted by the Miami Dolphins, two picks after Ikaika! Congrats to both of them. More news to come.

UPDATE: Some comments from John Murphy of Yahoo Sports.
By losing out on Ben Grubbs and Justin Blalock earlier, the Dolphins come back with a versatile interior lineman who has starting experience at both center and guard. He'll likely be tried at left guard and as a backup to center Rex Hadnot.
UPDATE 2: Here's a quote from June Jones, from the Advertiser.
"That's awesome," UH football coach June Jones said. "That helps the program. That helps everything. I couldn't be happier for both of them,"
UPDATE 3: Samson talks to Harvey Fialkov of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel about himself, his hair, and his attitude on the football field.
Satele is 6-foot-2, 300 pounds, and yes, this Samson also has shoulder-length hair.

"I've been growing it out since I was a little kid," laughed Samson, who started all 53 games of a four-year career with his hometown Warriors.

Rex Hadnot is the incumbent center with converted left tackle L.J. Shelton at right guard. Left guard is up for grabs between Joe Toledo and offseason acquisition Chris Liwienski.

Satele, who has played all three line positions, prefers center, but is flexible. He has played strictly in the run-and-shoot offense at Hawaii, so he will have to re-learn how to run block.

"The more reps I do, the more feeling I get back because I did it a lot in high school," Satele said. "I want to be the best player out here. ... I'm going to be a rookie, but I'm not going to play like a rookie or practice like a rookie."

Apparently, the not-so gentle giant has a mean streak.

"I'm a humble guy off the field. Once I step on the field for practice and games, I just turn into a different guy," Satele said.
UPDATE 4: To go with Ikaika's video below, here's ESPN's coverage of Samson after he got drafted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **