UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ohana Fest / Draft Day

The Ohana Festival / last spring practice will be held later today at Aloha Stadium. The NFL Draft is going on right now. Full day of football!

Stephen Tsai has an overview of some of the first team players as we leave spring. He also writes about the special teams coaching breakdown.
Mouse Davis, who left to become Portland State's offensive coordinator, was in charge of special teams last year.

This year, Jeff Reinebold will be in charge of the punt team. George Lumpkin will be in charge of the punt-return unit. Dennis McKnight will handle the place-kicking units, and team with Rich Miano on kickoff returns and kick coverage. McMackin will be in charge of the place-kick defense.
Dave Reardon profiles Guyton Galdeira, who's leaving spring as the #1 nickelback.
"I started working Guyton there and he's been great, and two other guys. Keao (Monteilh), and (Ryan) Perry," McMackin said after practice this week.

"They're all the same kind of guys," he added. "Smart guys who can blitz, who can do different techniques. Good athletes."

Another good athlete helped Galdeira get the gig. McMackin asked starting receiver Davone Bess for recommendations.

"He kinda helped make up my mind on that," McMackin said of Bess. "I asked him, 'Who are the best corners?' Because I like a corner being the nickel back. So he named off the first four guys, and I said, 'OK, I'm looking for a guy who can blitz like a wild man, cover and be technically sound, and is smart, because he's got to play a linebacker technique, corner technique, safety technique.'

"He said, 'Oh, that's Guyton.'"
Here's Guyton making a tackle on special teams in last year's Fresno blowout.



And finally, Scott Howell of the Lodi News-Sentinel asks 10 questions of Reagan Mauia about the Draft and other things. Reagan has some good answers.
Q: Do you expect to be drafted this weekend? If not, are there any teams that have expressed interest in you as a free agent? What teams are you interested in?

A: Sure, I think I'll be drafted. I've taken a couple of visits and been in contact with teams.

I've visited Miami, Arizona and the Chargers. I would love to go down to Miami and play for the Dolphins. They've shown the most interest in me. Or San Diego. I would love to be under the tutelage of (Chargers fullback) Lorenzo Neal before he retires.

...

Q: Do you have any nicknames?

A: They call me Juggernaut (from the movie X-Men) around here.
Right on! He also says if he makes an NFL team, his first major purchase will be a nice place for his folks, so good luck to Reagan and the rest of the waiting Warriors this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **