UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Tuesday, March 20, 2007

THREE I-AAs?!?!?!?

Well, that's the worst case scenario, but you gotta be kidding me.
Season tickets went on sale yesterday, but UH still has at least one home date left to fill. If the Warriors can't find two more Division I teams, they'll be left with a schedule including at least two I-AA teams, and maybe three, to fill a 13-game schedule.

"That's the worst-case scenario," Warriors coach June Jones said, referring to the possibility of playing three I-AA teams. "We need to have 13 games, to me. We lose money otherwise."

UH athletic director Herman Frazier did not respond to an inquiry yesterday via spokeswoman Lois Manin about progress on the schedule.
I can't believe this crap.
Brennan said he would personally prefer a 12-game slate to one of 13 games if it includes three I-AA opponents.

"I know we would lose some money," Brennan said. "But if we stack our schedule with three I-AA teams, I don't think the public and the media would accept it very well. They would use that to deflate whatever we accomplish."
If you read the rest of Dave Reardon's article, the scheduling situation isn't really bothering Colt too much as he and his teammates focus on training, but looking at the quote above, it is a concern. I think a 12 game schedule would be ideal to TWO I-AA teams, let alone frickin THREE! But like Coach Jones said, it would affect the bottom line of the UH athletic department if there wasn't a full schedule. Oh well, like always, I hold out hope, however dim. Sounds like something Eeyore would say.

Meanwhile, June Jones tells Dave Reardon:
...he plans to have the two open spots on his staff filled around the time spring practice starts, April 2.

"We won't have one done until next week and two weeks for the other," Jones said yesterday.
Come on Reinebold!

2 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 7:11:00 AM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Colt does have a point. All that matters is that we beat Nev, NM, SJ, Boise and Wash. If we do then we win the WAC and maybe a shot at the BCS. I bet the team would like to keep that third spot open. It would be a good break for them. And I agree that we shouldn't have too many 1AA teams. It will ruin the credibility of our schedule.

     
  • At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 8:24:00 AM HST, Blogger Tombo Ahi said…

    the more I-AA teams on the schedule, the more an opportunity of going to a BCS game diminishes. if any other non-BCS conference team has a better or equal record at the end of the year, they're going to a BCS game, not Hawaii. guarans!

    i can even see a scenario where a non-BCS team with one loss will go to a BCS game against an undefeated UH team with two or three wins over I-AA teams. but then again, the BCS would never accept a one-loss mid-major.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **