UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Signing Day

Today's signing day. Keep up with the news at The Warrior Beat. Stephen Tsai also gives an update on last year's grayshirts here. Grayshirting this year will be Drew Uperesa and Levi Legay. And here's some news regarding George Kauwalu.
Meanwhile, Waianae linebacker George Kauwalu, who verbally committed to UH, said he wants time to mull an offer from Idaho.
Idaho? Come on George, you're a WARRIOR! And here's some walk-on news.
Also, quarterback Shane Austin of Rio Mesa High (Oxnard, Calif.) has agreed to join UH as a non-scholarship player. He is 6 feet and 180 pounds.
Welcome to Shane!

Dave Reardon and Paul Honda talk to coach Jeff Reinebold about filling the Warriors' needs.
"It takes time to develop an offensive lineman in our system," Reinebold said.

That's why the Warriors rarely recruit a transfer, JC or otherwise, for the offensive front. High school players like Drew Uperesa (6-2, 245) and Levi Legay (6-3, 270) don't have the experience, but they possess the frame and the potential.

"It's so much like the NFL Draft. You're trying to improve your team for the short-term and the long-term," Reinebold said. "The guys you draft early have to help you right away, the guys you draft in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds are guys you hope can help you down the line."
Lanaly Cabalo of The Garden Island profiles new Warrior Vaughn Meatoga.
Hawai‘i started recruiting Meatoga last summer while he was attending the Big Man Camp at Moanalua High School.

“I was doing one of the drills one day and (Hawai‘i defensive coach) Jeff Reinebold saw me and he made me do it again,” he said. “So I did it again for him, then at the end of the day, he asked if I was ever interested in playing for Hawai‘i.”

Meatoga had been looking at Boise State and University of Nevada-Las Vegas as backups, but Hawai‘i was his top choice.

“As soon as he asked me that, I didn’t even care about any other schools after that,” he said. “Just the fact that I’d be playing with UH, that’s what I want.”
Ikaika Alama-Francis writes a diary about getting ready for the NFL Combine.
I'm just happy to be working out. During the Hula Bowl, I tore a pec muscle. I remember being in the locker room after that, and it was such a tough time. Nobody wants to get hurt, and I get hurt in an all-star game. I guess things happen for a reason.

There wasn't anything I could do but be positive. I had a problem and I had to fix it. I stayed positive and I worked at it. That's all I could do.

After the surgery, I didn't want to keep my arm in a sling. It was the type of deal where the more movement you have, the faster it will heal. You've got to get the blood flowing real good. There's still a little pain, but it's not too bad. I don't mind a little pain.
And finally, both Jason Kaneshiro and Kyle Sakamoto profile former Warrior Mat McBriar, who's returning to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. From Sakamoto's article:
"Back when I was in Australia, like in high school, we didn't really have much media coverage of the NFL, and I didn't have any idea about the rules," McBriar said. "I just kicked the ball a few times."

He is the first player from the June Jones era (1999 to present) to be named to the Pro Bowl.

"Obviously we're proud of him," Jones said. "I knew he had potential the first time I saw him kick."

Things didn't start out smoothly at UH for McBriar, who "dropped one of three" snaps, according to Jones.

But Jones added: "Once he learned how to take the snap and learn the steps, the rest is history."

As a senior, McBriar averaged 44.8 yards on 48 punts and was named to the All-Western Athletic Conference first team.

He went undrafted, signed with the Denver Broncos in late April 2003, but was traded to the Seattle Seahawks four months later. McBriar was released, then signed with Dallas in 2004.

McBriar's average per punt this season (48.2) was the highest in the NFL in 43 seasons. His average was nearly six yards better than each of his previous two seasons.
From Kaneshiro's article:
In a meeting of former Warriors, McBriar had a chance to punt to fellow UH product Chad Owens, then the Jacksonville Jaguars kick returner, this season.

"That was really exciting," he said. "We had a chance to talk before the game. He said, 'just give me a chance.' I'm like, 'Oh yeah you'll get one.' "

To McBriar's relief, the Dallas coverage unit did contain Owens well enough to prevent an on-field reunion.

"Me and him in the open field? You don't want to see that," McBriar said. "I don't want to see that."
Pretty funny. Congratulations to Mat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **