UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, February 03, 2007

Glanville Inducted

Jerry Glanville, along with Tigers manager Jim Leyland, got inducted into Perrysburg High School's athletic hall of fame last night.
Glanville excelled in football, track and baseball as a Yellow Jacket before ultimately finding his niche as a football coach, who went on to become a head coach for the Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons.

Considered one of the most quotable coaches in professional sports, Glanville said.

"You name a place and I've been there, but there's nothing like coming home and being with the people who knew you from way back," said Glanville, following the induction ceremony that concluded with a standing ovation.

Glanville, who served as defensive coordinator at the University of Hawaii last spring, was a member of a Yellow Jackets football team that finished the season undefeated during his senior year. He paid tribute to his teammates during a dinner ceremony earlier in the day by holding up a 1958 Perrysburg team picture when he posed for his Hall induction photo.

"I had at least 11 teammates who were better players than me, but we all played for each other," Glanville said. "What I learned here I carried with me for 42 years of coaching. It's all about we and not about me. That's what Perrysburg taught you."
Congratulations to coach Glanville! I hope the usage of past tense regarding Jerry serving as Hawaii's defensive coordinator was just carelessness on the writer's part. Gotta be, he wrote "last spring" when it should've been "last fall" or at least "last year". Anyway, I haven't heard any recent rumblings of him leaving, but in any case, get back to Hawaii soon Coach!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **