UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, February 08, 2007

Signing Day Wrap-Up

June Jones speaks later today about the new recruits who have signed letters of intent, which is always fun. It's like he's unveiling a line-up of shiny new weapons that the fans can marvel at. More LOIs will be arriving in the next few days, as Stephen Tsai writes. He also talks to each of the 14 who did sign yesterday and gets their reactions. Here's an excerpt:
VAUGHN MEATOGA, DEFENSIVE LINEMAN, 6-2, 274, KAMEHAMEHA SCHOOLS.

Named to Advertiser's All-State second team. Listed as state's No. 7 prospect by Rivals.com. Benches 365 pounds.

Why UH: "The coaching staff is really great. I like my d-line coach (Jeff Reinebold). I met the other coaches, and I really like them, too. The best thing is I get to stay home and play in front of my friends and family."

RYAN MOUTON, CORNERBACK, 5-9, 180, BLINN COLLEGE (TEXAS).

Named to NJCAA All-America team. Received 4-star rating from Scout.com. Ran 40 in 4.28. Blinn went 12-0 in 2006 and was named as JC Grid-Wire's national champion.

Why UH: "I picked Hawai'i because of the coaches and the players and the atmosphere. It's Hawai'i. What else is there to say about it?"

JEREMIAH OSTROWSKI, SLOTBACK, 5-9, 170, PUNAHOU SCHOOL.

Named to Advertiser's All-State first team after leading the state with 81 catches for 1,313 yards. Also three-time All-State basketball player.

Why UH: "One, I chose UH because my family is here. I have a big family and I wanted to play in front of them. And two, I want represent and play for my state."
Right on. They all sound excited to be Warriors!

Paul Honda writes that in addition to Levi Legay and Drew Uperesa, Gabe Tuata and Jeremiah Ostrowski will be grayshirting as well. Paul also talks to some of the local recruits.
Wide receiver/defensive back Elijah Lesu of Farrington also signed a letter of intent with UH yesterday at the PIAA press conference at Kapolei Hale.

Lesu is projected as a defensive back with Hawaii. He is close to qualifying academically, he added, pending an upcoming SAT.

"It feels good. I'd rather play defense. I'd rather hit than take the hit," said Lesu, who was recruited by UH assistant coach George Lumpkin.
Man, you like to hear stuff like that from your DBs.
Meatoga showed up at both the PIAA signing and the press conference at Kamehameha Schools on Tuesday.

"After getting to know some of the (UH) players, I know where I have to be at with my skills and strength on the field," he said.

Hawaii wasn't his only choice early in the process.

"In the beginning, I wanted to get off the island," he said of summer camps on the mainland, including Utah. "But I talked with some guys like Vaka Manupuna."

Manupuna, a former Saint Louis standout, played at Colorado and is now with the Washington Redskins.

"He said, if he could do it again, he'd stay home because his parents would've seen more of his games. For me, my parents would have to save money to fly (to the mainland)," Meatoga said.

"Especially with the talent we got in Hawaii, we could be a Top 25 team every year."
Glad Vaughn is staying home!

And The Warrior Beat will be hosting a live chat with Coach Jeff Reinebold at 10 a.m. HST today. He's becoming a regular. Be there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **