UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fall Camp: Day 8 Wrap-Ups

Stephen Tsai writes that quarterback Corey Nielsen has been sidelined due to an irregular heartbeat.
During Wednesday's practice, Nielsen complained of shortness of breath.

"I couldn't catch my breath," Nielsen said. "That never happens to me."

He underwent an electrocardiogram.

"They said I have an overworked heart or an enlarged heart or something," Nielsen said.

He is scheduled for a stress test and an echocardiogram next week.

He said he has not experienced any problems in the past.

"I think it's precautionary," Nielsen said. "I feel good. I feel I can practice, but I don't want to risk my health."
Hope it turns out well. All the best to Corey.

Tsai also has notes about Austin Hansen getting reps with the first team o-line, and linebacker Joseph Malabuyoc being added to the training camp roster.

Jason Kaneshiro takes a look at redshirt freshmen defensive tackles Geordon Hanohano and Haku Correa.
Both freshmen have been practicing with the second unit in fall camp and could be regular contributors in the defensive tackle rotation this season.

"We've got young guys who are going to have to step up and play, and they've responded," defensive line coach Dave Aranda said. "They've studied, they know their stuff and they're getting better. From where we ended in spring to now, big improvement. The future is now for those guys."
Kaneshiro also writes that there will be a 7-on-7 scrimmage today.

KGMB has a video profile of receiver Jovonte Taylor.
"We were out here doing unsupervised summer workouts and someone unofficially clocked him at 4.3," said quarterback Greg Alexander.

"He's fast, he can run," said fellow receiver Greg Salas. "These guys can take you up top with the corner and safety and that could open up plenty of things on the inside. He's really fast and it's nice to have him out there."

But like anything, Taylor wasn't satisfied with his speed.

This Summer, he returned to the track to get some added burst.

"You can never be fast enough," Taylor said. "That's how I feel. I'm here to get faster, stronger, better with my hands, everything."
And in their video section, HawaiiAthletics.com has interviews with Alex Dunnachie, Billy Ray Stutzmann, Alex Green and Chris Tormey. I hope they put it on their Youtube account.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **