UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, September 04, 2008

Game Week: Weber State - Thursday News

Stephen Tsai talks to Tyler Graunke about his return after taking care of academic issues.
"It's not really my second chance — or my third, or my fourth," Graunke said. "I've had a lot of chances. It's really humbling. I didn't realize how lucky I was until I didn't have it any more. It's a real humbling experience. I'm happy to be back with the guys. Every day, every experience with the guys, I'm taking it in, and loving it."
And what he says about Inoke Funaki getting the start:
"He's going to do a good job," Graunke said of Funaki's first collegiate start. "It fires me up, seeing his whole career, and how far he's come. He's really a fan favorite, and he makes plays when he goes in there. I'm so proud of the guy. I couldn't feel better about him being able to start."
Jason Kaneshiro writes about Graunke's return.
There were also some extra sprints for Graunke after practice as he works his way back into the fold.

"He's working hard at winning the respect of the football team," McMackin said. "I'm really excited about how he has taken care of things. He's really made a move to improve his life and his academic situation and I'm happy for him. I'm glad he has an opportunity to play his senior year."
Kaneshiro writes that with injuries to tackles Laupepa Letuli and Aaron Kia, Keith AhSoon moved over to left tackle, and Brysen Ginlack moved to first-team left guard in yesterday's practice.
"Bula's just kept improving all camp; now we're getting into the season and he's gotten better," Smith said of Ginlack. "He's bought into using your hands well with his punch and that's helped him a lot and I think he'll be ready to go for this weekend."
The article also has injury updates on Rocky Savaiigaea and Daniel Libre.

Tsai profiles running backs coach Alex Gerke.
No. 1 running back Leon Wright-Jackson said: "He gets me to play harder. He gets that little oomph that you have deep down to come out."

Gerke has helped Wright-Jackson, who is 6 feet 1, run with a lower stride. He also has lobbied for more playing time for unheralded Jayson Rego.

Against Florida, Rego made two big blocks, including a true pancake play — he flipped over a pass-rusher.

"He's a tough nut," Gerke said of Rego. "I've said that from day one. I love that kid. I absolutely love him because he'll give you everything he's got."
Tsai also has news about the offensive line shuffle, Daniel Libre being held out of practice, and some notes about the receivers:
Nate Nasca did make a move — from right wideout to left wideout. There was talk Nasca would move back to slotback while Pilares filled in for Libre. But Dustin Blount has played so well as the backup to right slotback Aaron Bain, there is no urgency in the speedy Nasca moving to inside receiver.
Leila Wai profiles receiver Jovonte Taylor.
He played Pop Warner football, but didn't go out for his high school football team until his sophomore year when the coach spotted him during a P.E. class and asked him to come out.

"He came up to me and asked me, 'How would you like to play football?' I said, 'Sure.' " said Taylor, who said he chose not to play in his freshman year to focus on school. "The next day I went out there and practiced with them and he saw what I could do. And the next game, I was starting at running back. I went out there my first game and returned a kickoff like 85 yards."

Taylor's mother Mattie ran track, and his father David played football.

"Speed runs in my family," he said.
Billy Hull has quotes from Jim Donovan about the WAC's new ESPN deal.
"I think the additional exposure for the WAC is fantastic," Hawaii athletic director Jim Donovan said. "It'll have a positive impact on all of the institutions in the WAC.

"It's a balance between revenue and exposure, and the additional exposure could lead to more revenue. The more exposure you get, we'll get better and better recruits, which leads to better teams and more ticket sales. Branding the WAC is extremely important and ESPN is the biggest brand out there. And for us to have a contract with ESPN, that's going to be huge for the WAC's brand perception."
And here's a short Advertiser article about the $11 million released for Aloha Stadium repairs.
Gov. Lingle has released $11 million to replace field lighting transformers and portions of the metal roof deck at the Aloha Stadium as part of ongoing improvements designed to refurbish and modernize the 33-year-old facility.

The project will replace portions of the metal roof deck in sections FF to KK and RR to T, and also cover the replacement and relocation of all roof-mounted, field lighting transformers. The balance of the metal roof deck will be replaced incrementally by sections over the course of several years to work around the stadium's busy seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **