UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Makaula, Blaze, Austin, Nauahi, Etc.

Dave Reardon has more quotes from Kimo Makaula, who committed to UH yesterday.
"It has been a dream to play at home and I am thankful Coach McMackin and his staff have made this possible for me," said Makaula, who also had an offer from UNLV. "I can play on both sides of the ball, but Coach wants me as a defensive end, so that's what I'm going to focus on at UH. Whatever the coaches want."
In his blog, Reardon praises Makaula and wonders if his commit might help UH in getting another sought-after recruit.

Stephen Tsai talks to Makaula about his dream to play for UH.
Makaula said he has "always been a UH fan. I went to pretty much all of the games. Last season was great, and I'm excited that coach Mack is the head coach."

He said he was inspired when McMackin addressed the campers last week. He also said he received positive feedback in e-mail exchanges.

"After speaking to coach Mack, he made me feel that Hawai'i is my home, and playing for Hawai'i is what I wanted to do. ... I know coach Mack will have a good team this year. I'm excited for that."
Tsai has some news and notes about the health of Blaze Soares, Shane Austin and Viliami Nauahi as they recover from injury.
Soares will become a full-time starter at left-side linebacker this season. He endured injuries during each of his first two UH seasons. Last year, he endured a left-shoulder injury and a stinger.

"It's sore, brah," Soares said of the injuries.

Of the stinger, he said, "You have no feeling whatsoever in your arm."

Despite the injuries, Soares kept playing.

"It's mind over matter," he said. "You have a different mentality. I'm not a wussy."
And Ferd Lewis writes about the talented coaches that have come out of the state of Hawaii.

...forgot to add Dave Reardon's Sports Notebook about Central Arkansas signing the contract for a 2009 game, along with notes from the WAC preview.

2 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:35:00 AM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tombo, always nice to see lots of news and updates.

    Found this full article just on Lelie:

    http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4334&section=PR%20News

    Top Five with WR Lelie
    print


    July 23, 2008
    Wide receiver Ashley Lelie sat down with TV49 for an Up Close segment where he shared his off-season interests and his enthusiasm for his second year with the San Francisco 49ers. Check out the Top Five from that interview.


    Q: Last year you didn’t really get many opportunities, and what I found impressive was the way that you just kept your nose down and never made a fuss at large about your situation. Some guys might have complained more vocally given those circumstances.
    A: Well, when I was in Denver, I took that road before, getting upset and voicing my opinion and trying to change things that way. I saw how tough it was. It put me into the position I am. Doing that in Denver, it didn’t really lead anywhere. It just added friction with the team, and got me in the hot with the coaches and with other teams having a stigmatism about what type of player I was. I was in a similar situation where I could either choose to speak out and be a distraction or just go with the flow and so I just went with the flow and played football.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 1:42:00 PM HST, Blogger Tombo Ahi said…

    thanks FL!

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **