UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Monday, May 12, 2008

Warriors in the Pros

The 49ers website has a profile of Isaac Sopoaga.
While most players of his size may not be initially viewed as the most athletic players on the field, Sopoaga showed the ability to play nose tackle, defensive end and he even linebacker, where he played during one game last season against Seattle.

“Those positions made me learn different techniques as the season progressed and I think that really helped me,” said Sopoaga. “When I put all those things together, it gave me an idea of what I wanted to do going into this season. Now I know how I want to play, react and use my energy against the man in front of me.”
He's gonna have a monster year.

Here's a photo of C.J. Hawthorne from an Atlanta Journal-Constitution Falcons minicamp slideshow.

Hawthorne's teammate Kynan Forney lined up at first team right guard in Sunday's minicamp practice.

And Chad Kapanui passed for 227 yards and 5 touchdowns for the UIF's Sioux City Bandits in a tough loss.

UPDATE: Here's a profile of Pisa Tinoisamoa from the St. Louis Rams site. Thanks to 4uhfan for finding it. Here's an excerpt:
The player once renowned for his toughness after popping a dislocated shoulder back into place seven times during the 2005 season was now the guy whose toughness was being called into question.

As Tinoisamoa attacked this offseason and preparation for the 2008 year, he couldn’t help but use the whispers as motivation for his training.

“I think that fueled my fire this offseason,” Tinoisamoa said. “Just knowing that you are that guy now that everyone is like, ‘I don’t know about him.’ You hear it from coaches and all around, it kind of fuels me to get better. It fueled me to say, ‘I am not going to do that anymore.’ Not that it was my choice anyway, but I am going to do everything I can to make sure I am not. I had to look inside myself and say, ‘Am I doing the most I can to make sure that physically I am in the best shape I can be, that mentally I am playing smart?’ I have come to peace with myself and I feel like although there are things that fuel me because of injuries, that fuels me but it doesn’t drive me. What drives me is being the best, being a winner and being a great teammate.”

6 Comments:

  • At Monday, May 12, 2008 at 9:09:00 AM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like always, great collection of articles about former UH football players.

    What is with that Falcon's coach and his comments ""Nothing is itched in stone," Boudreau said. "It's hard to pick out a guy playing in underwear, if you're an offensive lineman." Now is that a spelling error or did he really mean itched in stone? And what is that about them playing in underwear? I guess hard to think when everyone is going to quote you.

    Anyway, Go WARRIORS!!!

    Thank you Tombo!

     
  • At Monday, May 12, 2008 at 10:47:00 AM HST, Blogger Tombo Ahi said…

    maybe he was thinking about how itchy his new underwear was when he said that. and i didn't know offensive linemen practiced in their bibidees!

     
  • At Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:57:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good update.

    Noticed a certain theme in the articles--these are quotes from the respective articles.

    Tinoisamoa: On Oct. 11, Tinoisamoa received a contract extension that solidified his role as one of the defensive leaders and made him one of the most well compensated players in the league.

    sopoaga: Sopoaga has given back to the place he still calls home.

    Unfortunately, Sopoaga is rightfully giving back to Samoa. If only UH could get something from some or all the former players that are doing well. Maybe Jim Donovan can do something.

     
  • At Monday, May 12, 2008 at 1:08:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good stuff Tombo.

    I agree with you Fuzzy. I'm sure Jim Donovan will accept all donations with open arms.

     
  • At Monday, May 12, 2008 at 2:34:00 PM HST, Blogger Drew said…

    Hey, Tombo...thanks for the linkage. I will return the favor once I get my opponent blogroll up and running.

    Drew (fightfightbsu)

     
  • At Monday, May 12, 2008 at 3:41:00 PM HST, Blogger Tombo Ahi said…

    i thought i read last year that there was a plan in place to have former UH players donate back to the school, and a lot of them were up for it. but i haven't heard about it since. of course, i don't know where it was mentioned or who mentioned it, so maybe it was a fever dream. in any case, recent big contracts by sopoaga, tinoisamoa, laboy is a good sign. and samson should be up for a big contract in a few years. just hope someone is in contact with them to ask for some alumni donations. no shame!

    thanks drew. looking forward to the upcoming season, and the UH-BSU game in particular. should be a great game on the blue turf.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **