UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Saturday, July 21, 2007

June Jones Q&A Part 3 / Rolo / Dan

First of all, big thanks to my friend Chawan Cut for writing his first entry on this blog. Great post about NCAA 08 and his unmitigated hate for Boise State. I don't really hate BSU as much as I respect what they've done for the WAC's profile. They've also beaten UH six straight years, which I must -- okay I hate them. Anyway, let's hope it's the first post of many for CC.

======

The Star-Bulletin has the third and final installment of their June Jones Q&A. Here's an excerpt regarding scheduling:
Q: A lot of scheduling should have been done when you were 3-9 (in 2000).

A: Thank you. That's the way it should have been. I agree. (All the big BCS teams). All of them.

Now it's harder. The only way you can -- to me, the next five years it's going to be harder if we have openings. ... Even that is going to be costly because we're going to have to pay a I-AA team, because I-AA teams are being paid on the mainland to go to UCLA, to go to Stanford, to go wherever.

But what should be done is 2012 through 2018, we should have all of them done. And they should be done now. Because even a coach would just say, 'Yeah, go ahead.' Because six years from now he might be dead or not here. Yeah, exactly.

A lot of those teams would give reasons why they don't want to, the money will change, we'll wait. Well, just put it in the contract: 'Teams will have the right to renegotiate that in 2011 for the 2013 game.' But get them on the hook. There are ways to solve that problem.

I'm still kind of waiting to see if there are any repercussions on the Hawaii exemption.
The article also has a JPEG of the full August practice schedule.

======

Nick Rolovich writes his first article for the Warriors' Haka site and answers the fans' questions.
Q.) Who is the most underrated player on the current squad?

A.) There is no question that this team has talent. During my two seasons as a student assistant, I got to see and know many of the current players as they came in as freshman. Many of the current starters were on the scout teams that Brian Smith and I got to help with during those years. But out of all the current players, for me, the most underrated player has to be Dan Kelly. Going 13 for 17 last year including 4 of 6 from 40+, is very good for a kicker, especially a young one. I am not traditionally a big kicker guy, but Kelly is clutch and a great asset for this team.
======

UPDATE: Woops, not sure if it was posted later or I completely missed it, but Dan Robinson also has a new article up at Warriors' Haka. He writes about the great coaching he received under June Jones and Dan Morrison.

It wouldn’t be until the ’99 season when June Jones and Coach Morrison came that finally I had someone to coach me. That’s the first time I had someone teach me a system, someone who could answer all of the “what if” questions that arose.

I believe that coaching is an opportunity to influence young kids in a positive way. You look at a lot of so-called “coaches” out there, and it’s like they are merely living their dreams through the kids, rather than allowing the kids to have fun and truly enjoy the game of football.

They yell, scream and curse at their boys in an effort to “motivate” them.

I have been at both ends of the spectrum when it comes to coaching and have never felt really motivated by a “screamer.”

Dan Morrison was perfect for me. He would talk to me and truly coach me. He never once raised his voice at me. I would do anything for that man. He earned my respect because of his actions.

UH football is truly lucky to have the coaches, players and alumni we have today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **