UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ikaika Writes

Garret from UH Warrior Quotes points out this new "Rookie Diary" that Ikaika Alama-Francis has on the Detroit Lions website. Here's an excerpt:
“(Compared to) OTAs, training camp is the same thing, just a little more intense and a little more up-tempo – but I love it. I love it. Just to be out here with the guys going through what they go through and just working hard. It’s my rookie year, I’m going to have to battle through a lot of things but I’m going to have a smile on my face and I’m going to enjoy it.

“We usually go helmets the first three days of college, (but) now it’s just full pads. That’s the way it is: whatever they ask us, that’s what we’ve got to do. So, Coach Marinelli wants pads so we’re going to do it. (But) it was good to be out there again. It really was. I haven’t hit in almost half a year now – I enjoy every minute of it.”
And Ikaika wrote an update to his Yardbarker blog a couple days ago. It sounds very familiar, but he's told this story a few times before. He writes about how he worked hard to earn his scholarship from June Jones.
After playing basketball my first year I decided I did want to play football and Coach Jones welcomed me to the team. He still had the scholarship for me but I wouldn't take it. I was a walk on until my junior year. I'll never forget the day when I did earn the scholarship. Coach Jones announced it in front of the team and it was the same emotion I felt when I got the call from the Lions. It was really unbelievable.
Sounds like the Lions fans really like his attitude. Hope he gets a lot of playing time his rookie year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **