UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Good News for Ikaika, Samson, Tala, Chad Mock

But first, the bad news for Ikaika.
Tom Kowalski, of Mlive.com, reports the Detroit Lions could place DL Ikaika Alama-Francis (chest) on the Physically Unable to Perform list.
Unless I missed it, I actually haven't seen that report on MLive.com, so maybe it was fleeting speculation. But what I did find on MLive.com is the good news for Ikaika.
According to Rod Marinelli's training camp press conference, the Lions have inked deals with second-round picks Drew Stanton and Ikaika Alama-Francis.
No terms or details yet. Congratulations to Ikaika!

UPDATE: Garret finds this Detroit News article stating that Ikaika signed a 4-year deal. Thanks again G!

======

Samson Satele is profiled and talked about as the probable starting center for Miami.
The Dolphins' second-round pick enters training camp as the odds-on favorite to become just the second rookie to open a season as the Dolphins' starting center.

The other guy obviously wasn't Langer. And it wasn't Dwight Stephenson, either. No, the two greatest centers in Dolphins history, both Hall of Famers, didn't get their chances until their third seasons.
And Samson talks about what he needs to work on.
"I told coach Hudson straight up that I'm not a vocal guy," Satele said. "But if he wants me to be, I'll be. I'm a leader by actions. That's what I've been living by since I played Pop Warner.

"I want to get everybody's respect through my actions first and then be a vocal guy. I can't just be a vocal guy and not show these guys what I can do before I tell them what to do."

Houck said Satele is making progress.

"People believe in him as a leader," Houck said. "Right now, I don't think he's a very verbal leader, but he's certainly a leader in terms of work ethic and caring about his job.

"If you're a rookie, it's hard to really speak up and control the group. But considering he's a rookie, he's doing a pretty damn good job of it."
That's just awesome.

======

Samson's teammate Tala Esera was, surprisingly, practicing at first team left guard today.
Although rookie guard Drew Mormino was believed to be vying for the starting left guard spot with Chris Liwienski, there he was playing right guard in practice today. Huh? Also, rookie Tala Esera was playing left guard next to his former Hawaii teammate and fellow Samoan starting center Samson Satele. Satele seems confident that he will hold onto the starting spot. Cam Cameron commented on the kid's smarts after practice.
Excellent sign for Tala. Thanks to Garret from UH Warrior Quotes for the link.

======

And finally, Chad Mock has been activated from the BC Lions practice squad. And Stephen Tsai writes that Chad may start this weekend.
Former UH wideout Chad Mock has been promoted to the B.C. Lions' active roster and he is set to start this weekend, according to Canadian Football League consultant Jon Nielsen.
Great news all around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **