UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, February 21, 2007

NFL Combine Starting

Dave Reardon writes about the six Warriors, mainly Dane Uperesa, who are gearing up for the NFL Combine, which starts today.
Dane Uperesa's combination of agility and acuity could help him move up the charts during his time at the NFL Combine, which started today in Indianapolis. But the first day's test was mostly dealing with boredom.

"Medical stuff, live at the hospital for a day," Uperesa said last night, when asked what the meat market would feature upon check-in.

...

"The Combine's going to be huge for him," said Leo Goeas, his agent. "I think he'll test out very well. I know he will interview well. There's a chance (to become a first-day pick). He really needs to put up some great numbers."

Uperesa -- already known as very athletic for his size -- spent the weeks leading up to now working on his quickness.

"Probably the biggest thing was just getting the steps down for the pro shuttle and the 40. (The 40's) not just run straight-ahead," Uperesa said. "I covered those bases with techniques that help maximize each yard, things like staying low, getting a good start."
Dave also writes that Mel Purcell was not invited to the combine, but he will perform at UH's Pro Day in Carson, CA on March 29.

UPDATE: Leonard Peters writes a training diary for the Advertiser.
We have free time, but I don't do anything. I'm here strictly to prepare for the combine. I'm not here to see places or do stuff.

We work out every day from 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon.

We do a lot of bench-press stuff, focusing on the chest and triceps. We do a lot of running, a lot of agility stuff.

Right now, I'm not trying to get bigger. I'm trying to work on the shuttles, the 40-yard dash, the vertical jump and the long jump. It's OK. It's different lifting than what I usually do because it's geared toward reps instead of strength.

I think the first two days will be used for testing. I'm sure they'll do all of the heights and weights at that time. I don't know my height, but I weigh about 214, 215.

I feel good. I'm healthy. My rib injury is gone. It's been gone for a long time.
Good to hear Leonard is doing good. He's gonna amaze some people!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **