UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back in Black

More on Colt coming back!

From Stephen Tsai:
"Colt probably turned down about $25 million," (Coach June) Jones said. "It's a lot of money. It's a huge sacrifice."

Shakti Stream, Brennan's girlfriend, said the money "could buy you your own island. But it can't buy you the experience of Hawai'i."

"Hawai'i's really changed him," she added. "He's really adapted to the culture and the people. He honestly fell in love with everything about Hawai'i. That has a lot to do with why he's coming back."

...

"I think the people here, the life experiences here, are second to none," Jones said. "I believe one day this will be Colt Brennan's home permanently. He was embraced here. People accept him here."

Indeed, Brennan said he felt that way when he returned to California for the holiday break.

"When I got out there, I felt I wasn't a local in my own home anymore," Brennan said, laughing. "I was driving around. I didn't know where things were. I was confused about things. This was the place I grew up. I was thrown off by how fast-paced it was, little stuff like that. I was laughing about it to (Stream). It felt good to get back to Hawai'i."
I can attest to that, having spent a lot of time on the mainland, going back and forth, even still. "Far away and out of touch! People I know, I-" Anyway.

From Dave Reardon:
"We're very proud of what Colt has done," Jones said, "but I'm more proud of how he's handled himself. He has a command about being a quarterback and a leader. It's a very hard decision."

Brennan said he went back and forth before finally making his choice on Tuesday. He postponed his announcement twice and sought Jones' counsel several times.

He asked me, 'Where do you think I'll go?' I told him, and I'll tell you -- I didn't want to before because I didn't want to be the reason he went -- I told him, 'I know what they're going to do. They're going to line up every pass Brady Quinn has thrown, every pass he has thrown, every pass the kid Russell's thrown, every pass the guy Troy Smith has thrown. ... You're going to be the first quarterback taken.'"

If Jones is right, that means Brennan turned down a signing bonus of more than $10 million.

"To make this decision shows a lot about his heart for Hawaii, for the fans, for the people and for his teammates and the school. I think that kind of says it all about Colt Brennan," Jones said.

Offensive lineman Hercules Satele was among those at the news conference. He is one of the more stoic of the Warriors, but he was flooded with positive emotions after Brennan's announcement.

"Relief. Happiness. Excitement. I can't wait for the next season," Satele said. "I kind of heard a lot of rumors and ideas, but I always hoped that he stayed."
Whew!

From Dave Reardon again:
Brennan also said a vision of what UH football can be after he's gone is one of the main reasons he decided to return to Manoa. It's a 4F Plan: He hopes the attention he brings to the Warriors in 2007 translates into fans, funding and facilities in the future.

Basically, he hopes to get Hawaii a step closer to the big time.

"They're not going to change while I'm here," he said of the facilities. "But we have a chance hopefully to get this program in the right direction and get it to that level that we're trying to take it."
Colt Brennan, shining that light. Just amazing. Thanks Colt! The article also has a great picture of a happy Robert Kekaula!

From an initially doubtful Kalani Simpson:
There was no way this would be interesting.

"Colt does have to leave in about 20 minutes," UH sports information director Lois Manin said.

See? Not a good sign.

And then ...

And then he started talking, saying Hawaii and coach June Jones "gave me an opportunity when no one else would." Yeah, yeah, yeah. Standard.

More regular about-to-leave stuff.

And then ...

And then he was talking, and what was he saying? Wow! The guy was almost crying!

And then, it's official -- he's coming back.

Cheers and whistles, from the players. "Ayug," Colt said, the way tough guys say it, when they shrug away just-fallen tears.

And then, he was staying, that smile so wide. The emotion so real. So choked up he needed a second.

"Ayug," he said, clearing the galas, soldiering on. Brightening. Coming alive.
From Ferd Lewis:
Upon returning to campus following the Walter Camp Awards at Yale last week, Brennan said he came to feel what was important to him. "I came back to school here and (as) I was walking around and going to classes, I realized, you know, it is a great opportunity I have just being with these guys. To experience it for one more year means a lot to me."

That it apparently is worth millions says a lot about the man behind the decision and how much he has grown into the position of the Warriors' leader.
2007 will be a great year for UH football!

======

And about that 2007 schedule.
Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan's announcement to return for his senior season might mean more home games for the Warriors this fall.

Athletic director Herman Frazier said he will look at scheduling eight of UH's 13 regular- season games at home now that the Heisman Trophy candidate has pulled his name out of consideration for the 2007 NFL Draft.

Frazier had previously talked about at least one and possibly two of four remaining unannounced games being on the road.

"That will factor in," Frazier said, when asked about the crowds Brennan could help draw to Aloha Stadium.

Also, Michigan State is officially off the Hawaii football schedule for 2007, Frazier said.

Another source said MSU will pay UH a $250,000 fee for pulling out of the game, but Frazier would not confirm that yesterday.

"I can't talk about that aspect of it, but they will be off the schedule," Frazier said.

...

"ESPN, in conjunction with the WAC, will release (a schedule) in either the first or second week of February," Frazier said. "It will include all of our conference games. We will (release the nonconference schedule) at the same time or earlier."
Sounds like a lot of games will be on the TV next year. Looking forward to the first or second week of February!

======

And finally, more on incoming JC transfer Joshua Leonard.

From Dave Reardon:
Nevada would've been the convenient choice for Josh Leonard. The Reno campus is less than a 2-hour drive away from his family's home in Sacramento.

But the 6-foot-3, 285-pound defensive end from Sierra (Calif.) College decided Hawaii is where he really wants to be, and he accepted a scholarship offer from the Warriors yesterday.

"My only worry was about how far away I would be from home," Leonard said. "But I don't think that's going to be a problem."

Leonard visited UH last weekend and was impressed by the "fan support and the team."
Woo hoo!
Leonard committed to UH before quarterback Colt Brennan announced he would return to the Warriors for his senior season. Leonard said that's a bonus.

"Definitely a plus," he said. "He's a helluva player."
From Stephen Tsai, who writes that Keahi Watson, brother of UH D-lineman Keala Watson, may be joining the Warriors as well:
Leonard said he chose UH because of his future teammates and "how great the fans are. Those were the two biggest factors in my decision."

Leonard can run 40 yards in 4.7 seconds and bench press 475 pounds. He amassed 21 sacks in two years at Sierra.

...

Scout.com gave Leonard a 4-star rating. "That means he will have a big impact his first year," said Kevin Lustgarten, publisher of jcfootball.com, which produces the Scout ratings. "It's like a can't-miss guy."

...

Watson, who is 6 feet 2 and 290 pounds, said he is in the process of securing a release from Saint Francis before contacting UH.

A graduate of Nanakuli High School, Watson said: "I miss home. I went home for winter break, and went to some of Hawai'i's practices. I watched the Hawai'i Bowl. I want to come home."

Watson, who started two games as a freshman last year, will have four years to play three seasons.
Great to have both of them!

GO WARRIORS!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **