UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Colt's COMING BACK!!!

He just announced it! WARRIORS!!!!!

UPDATE: I don't have a transcript right now, but basically he said he's coming back because he likes the person he's become in Hawaii, he loves Hawaii, the people, his teammates, etc. As for not going to the NFL this year, he says that it doesn't matter where he gets drafted (next year), it only matters what he does after he gets drafted. I'm sure Warrior fans are jumping up and down right now!

UPDATE 2: COLT IS COMING BACK!!!!! Okay, back to work.

UPDATE 3: I can't concentrate on work right now. Here's Dave Reardon's quick wrap-up he must've been typing as it was being spoken.
Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan said today he will return for his senior season, ending weeks of speculation.

"I've decided to come back for my senior year."


"This was one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make," Brennan said. "I made the decision late last night with Coach (June Jones0 and family and friends."

...

Dozens of teammates stood outside of the Stan Sheriff Center minutes before Brennan's news conference today.


Slotback Mike Washington held a homemade sign that said "1 more year ... or" on one side and "we fly for Ty" on the other, referring to Tyler Graunke, who is next in line to quarterback the Warriors.


"(Brennan's) a friend first and a teammate second," UH receiver Jason Rivers said before the announcement. "We'd like for him to come back. But in the end I hope he makes the right choice for himself."
UPDATE 4: Here's an update to the Advertiser article from below.
"This is one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make," an emotional Brennan said. "I've decided to comeback for my senior year.

"I don't think I prepared myself (for the NFL) yet. I have yet to prepare myself yet physically and mentally... get myself, my mind and my body ready."

Brennan said he came to his decision Tuesday night.

"We have a chance to have an unbelievable football team next season," Brennan said.
UPDATE 5: Here's a link to a video of KITV's coverage of the press conference.

UPDATE 6: Here's the AP article on Brennan's return.
Wearing flip-flops, baggy jean shorts, white dress shirt and a kukui nut lei, the former walk-on made his announcement at a news conference packed with about 100 teammates, coaches and fans.

They cheered wildly when Brennan announced his decision, drawing a tear from the quarterback.

"I like the person I'm becoming in Hawaii. I want to give back to a school that gave back to me," he said.

...

"My future in the NFL will have nothing to do with where I get drafted. It will have everything to do with what I do after I get drafted.," he said.

Brennan said he was told he would be have been picked "extremely, extremely high," and would've fulfilled a lifelong dream of playing pro football, but wanted to continue building on Hawaii's success.

Brennan broke the NCAA single-season touchdown and passing efficiency records last month and led Hawaii to an 11-3 season -- matching the school mark for wins.

His had five TD passes Hawaii's 41-24 victory over Arizona State in the Hawaii Bowl on Dec. 24. Brennan finished the game with a school-record 559 yards passing.
UPDATE 7: Here's the UH Athletic Dept's article.
"I told Colt that he was going to be the first quarterback drafted in the NFL Draft," Warrior Head Coach June Jones said. "And for him to hear that and still come back says something about his character. I'm so proud of him. He's a great player, but I'm more proud of the way he has handled himself through everything. All the wins and losses, he stayed right there next to his teammates, and that's what it's all about. He understands that this game is not about one person. It's about the guy next to you. I'm obviously glad he is coming back, not just for our team, but for the University and for the entire State."
That should sum it up right there. That should be the last of the updates.

3 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 3:50:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so excited I don't know if my prior post went thru. But this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Brennan made this decision for all the right reasons and, most importantly, he made it with his heart and a "I don't care how they draft me attitude because I will do well no matter what."

    This guy has heart and balls. And that is what it takes to be great. Next year he will be unstoppable. He will be so good that I bet he blows away all his current records.

    This is the start of truly an amazing year of football. Better tighten your seatbelts because this is going to be one hell of a ride!!!!

    Can you post the video w/ sound? I went to the link but there was no sound.

    Thanks for all the hard work.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 3:56:00 PM HST, Blogger Tombo Ahi said…

    WOOO HOOOO!!!!

    I'm just as excited as you guys, if you couldn't tell!

    Thanks again Marcy!

    Hey Niall, I wasn't able to capture the video but I read somewhere on Sportshawaii.com that someone should be posting the press conference on Youtube, so I'll definitely put it here when it's up. It was a great speech by Colt!

    I'm just making A with all my yelling, but I don't care!

     
  • At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 4:12:00 PM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tombo,
    Make that two of us, no, make that the whole state of Hawaii!!!!!
    I am so happy.

    But I am also happy for Brennan. He is a young man who has found himself and will be a better person for it in the long run. Good things ultimately happen when you make the right decisions for the right reasons.

    I will sleep well tonite.

    The universe was just saved and there is great happiness in the state of Hawaii.

     

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **