UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Profiles of New Warriors

Ben Wilgus of the Martinez News-Gazette profiles several Alhambra HS students, including UH signees Trevor Davis and Jared Leaf, who signed with colleges last week.
“Hawaii’s been my favorite school and they also have one of the top 25 business schools in the country,” Leaf said.
Leaf is planning on getting a double major in business, specifically in sports management or marketing and also major in graphic design.
“They have great coaches, great facilities and great food. The best part is I’m going with my best friend,” Leaf said.
“They are the number one passing team in the country,” Davis said.
Davis said he will study business and really liked the guys on the football team and the coaches at Hawaii.
“Colorado State really wanted me to go, but I gave an honest commitment to Hawaii,” Davis said.
Dion Rabouin of Culver City Patch profiles incoming defensive back Ijumaa Armstrong.
At Hawaii, he plans to play cornerback and work into the team’s defensive rotation as a nickelback. He said he made the decision to go to Hawaii because of the coaching staff and the school’s relaxed atmosphere.

“It started with the coaches, and how honest they were,” Armstrong said. “They were telling me the truth about coming and playing in the program. Their environment is real relaxing and peaceful, not all corporal like most places are.”
Donovan Aird of the San Luis Obispo Tribune profiles incoming linebacker Tyler Gray.
At first, Gray and his parents were a bit hesitant about leaving the mainland, but after his trip, any such qualms about the long distance away from home faded in light of everything the Warriors’ program had to offer.
“I had the best time on my trip,” Gray said. “I got along with people really well. I felt like I was part of the team by the time I left.”
The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Gray will likely be placed at the Warriors’ joker position, Harper said, “where he’ll be rushing from either side depending on what the play call was in the huddle.”
Before signing day, Paul Valencia of The Columbian profiled receiver Ellis Henderson.
“I’ve been to Hawaii three times. I just love it down there,” Henderson said. “And when I actually got down there for football, the way they treated me was amazing. A light would go on, or a spark, that would say this is where I was meant to be. I’m laid back, and the culture is pretty laid back. The coaches would ask me how my life was, not just football. I liked that.”
Mason Kelly of The Seattle Times profiled Kendrick Van Ackeren.
The 6-foot-2 senior said Hawaii has been recruiting him from the beginning. When he first announced his commitment recently he said the news was well received on the blogs and message boards that cover the Warriors.

"I definitely appreciate what they (Hawaii) offered me," Van Ackeren said. "But, more than that, it's the feel I got from them. I feel the love from down there. Even though I'm not there yet, through the blogs and things like that, I can see that they really want me."

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **