UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mid-Week in Review

The 2010 WAC Preview was held earlier this week. In the preseason polls, the coaches rank UH 5th in the WAC while the media ranks them 7th(!)

Stephen Tsai has a report from the preview.

WACSports.com has video of each of the coaches' statements and Q&As with the media, including Greg McMackin's (WMV file).

Blah blah, Boise.

HawaiiAthletics.com has a new website to hype up Greg Salas called CatchGregSalas.com.

Caveat: if you're a defensive back, please do NOT catch Greg Salas.

Tsai talks to Salas, who along with Vaughn Meatoga, represented UH at the WAC Preview.
"There's no added pressure," Salas said of the UH-generated promotions. "I like it. It's fun. I'm confident in my abilities, but I was able to do what I did last year because our team helped me out."

During the interview session, each player was stationed at his own table. From a few feet away, Meatoga watched as reporters huddled around Salas.

"I have a website, too," Meatoga said, smiling. "It's called Facebook.com."
Heyohhhh! Meatoga talks about how offseason conditioning has been with Tommy Heffernan at the helm:
Heffernan, who replaced Mel deLaura as the lead strength coach, implemented a strict offseason workout program.

"It was like night and day," Meatoga said. "A lot of people took it upon themselves to get bigger and stronger and faster."
Aside from the season opener against USC, all UH games will be on PPV this year. When I was a little kid, I became a huge UH fan because I just happened to catch games on TV for free. I just hope we aren't losing too many future UH fans because it's all behind a pay-wall.

The UH athletic department may outsource its marketing.
Under McNamara, who has overseen marketing since 2004, the department has consistently grown the value.

"What John and his people have done is outstanding, especially in this economy," athletic director Jim Donovan said.

The question is, Donovan said, "Can somebody else come in and produce more for us. That's something we have to look at."

UH has long sought a partner that can deliver national and international clients.
Someone put a UH hat on Lady Gaga, stat!

Former UH offensive coordinator Ron Lee has joined the Kalani High School coaching staff. Dave Reardon and Paul Honda talk to Lee about it.
For Lee, it's a natural fit. After leaving UH in the offseason, he found himself still passionate about teaching the run-and-shoot offense.

"I didn't retire. I still work at the Outrigger (Hotel). I found that I missed coaching," said Lee, 66.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **