UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, July 16, 2009

News and Notes: Giving Back, Transferring, Grayshirting, Etc.

Dave Reardon writes about Colt Brennan giving back.
The Ko’olaulea Red Raiders Pop Warner football players will all have brand new uniforms this season, thanks to a hanai son of the North Shore.

Colt Brennan made a donation to sponsor the Red Raiders, and through an NFL program, the Washington Redskins’ quarterback’s donation is matched by the league.

“One of my teammates, Fred Smoot, was talking one day about how he had a team in Mississippi,” said Brennan, the former Hawaii star who is relaxing in the islands this week. “So that gave me the idea to do it here.”
Tsai writes about Colt's donation and notes that T.J. Alofipo will either grayshirt or enroll in a JC.

In today's post, Tsai notes receiver that Daniel Lofton is transferring, incoming receiver Deondre Powell is expected to grayshirt (UPDATE: Tsai revised the post to say that Powell will go to a JC), and incoming defensive lineman Marcus Malepeai may not grayshirt after all. Tsai also has a Q&A with incoming defensive tackle Zach Masch. Here's an excerpt:
He makes sure he gets his daily iron.
"Basically, I do a lot of super reps. I do three different (weightifting) workouts instead of just bench. I do bench, inclines and pushups. I do 15 benches of 225 (pounds). Then I do the incline machine. l do 10 with my right arm, 10 with my left and 10 together. Then I do 50 pushups. I do three (sets) of them."
He weighs 280, and is trying to put on more pounds.
"Right now, I'm on my own for the second (summer) session. I eat Pastaroni or pizza every night. In the morning, I eat a lot of corned beef hash because there's a lot of fat in there. And a lot of rice. I make eggs all of the time. I love eggs. I make it over easy so I get all of the ooze stuff all over the rice. It tastes really good. What I love the most is Portuguese sausage under the rice with the egg yolks on top. That's my favorite thing."
On SportsHawaii.com, AK Warrior wrote that offensive lineman David Garness is transferring.
David Garness decided to go to City College of San Francisco. We are both still Warrior fans and will be rooting for the Warriors this fall.
Jason Kaneshiro profiles former UH cornerback Kenny Patton, who is helping current Warriors with offseason workouts.
"Any way I can help out, I'm happy trying to give back to these guys," Patton said. "I'm happy these guys are coming out and working hard and are hungry for it. It makes it a pleasure."

Patton put together a program combining drills he learned while playing for UH and in his NFL experiences with the New York Jets and Oakland Raiders.

"It was a brief stint, however I did learn a lot," Patton said. "I just tried to soak up as much as I can and break things down, add to it and be creative and just motivate these guys."
Kaneshiro also writes about incoming JC players Lametrius Davis and Alex Green working out during the offseason, and has an update on long-time incoming offensive lineman Kainoa LaCount.
Kainoa LaCount is optimistic he'll be ready to play this fall after sitting out last season. The former Kailua offensive line standout initially signed with UH in 2008 but didn't earn his associate's degree in time to become eligible last season. LaCount said he completed his requirements from College of the Canyons in the spring semester and has been working to keep in shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **