UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Monday, July 20, 2009

The Centurions: #11 Garrett Gabriel (w/UPDATE)

The Star-Bulletin's countdown of UH football's "Centurions", the 100 greatest players in the University of Hawaii's 100 years of football, continues with #11, quarterback Garrett Gabriel.

Chance Gusukuma profiles Garrett the BYU-slayer.
"People will come up and say, 'Hey, thanks for the memories' or 'You're the one who beat BYU,' " Gabriel said. "And I'm thinking, jeez, it's been 15, 20 years and these guys remember it so vividly."

Gabriel agrees that Oct. 28, 1989, the night he led UH to its first win over BYU in 15 years, was "probably the best night of (my) career."

But he shares credit as deftly as he once delivered the ball to his teammates.

"It wasn't just me," he said of snapping BYU's 10-game winning streak against UH. "It was a great team effort, everybody was pretty much on the same page. The defense was great. My offensive line, those guys played great. I think I barely got touched (by the BYU defense) all night."

Gabriel completed 14 of his first 15 passes as UH scored on eight of nine first-half possessions. He ended up connecting on 22 of his 29 passes for 440 yards with four touchdown passes to four different receivers against the shell-shocked Cougars.

Bob Wagner, then the UH head coach, still describes it as "the most perfect game, execution-wise, that I've ever been involved with."

"In the bigger games I tended to play a little better," Gabriel said. "That's all I looked forward to. I liked it that that's your moment to shine."
UPDATE: Here's an interview with Gabriel from the July 14th Rob & Russ Show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **