UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, October 17, 2007

CB to SB, Pilares, Herman on BCS, Etc.

So I was minding my own business, eating some mini-wheats while doing butt-clenching exercises like my hero Jean Claude Van Damme, when all of a sudden my old nemeses, the celestial billy goats, whisked me away to their enchanted land of bearded wonders. Oh it is a magical place, with goat wine fountains and castles made of potatoes, but I never get to enjoy myself when I'm there -- this time the goats made me wear tight shorts and play Dance Dance Revolution in front of them while they brayed away in delight. Unfortunately my shorts were tailored by one of goats, which meant it was made out of burlap and old newspapers. Anyway, after completing an uptempo booty-shaking song, in which I chafed what was left of my @#&$! I had the goats rolling and laughing so hard that I was able to make my escape. Frickin goats! I wonder what silly things they'll think of next. So that's where I've been.

Anyway, here are some articles from this morning's papers.

Colt Brennan has accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. Steve Hale, president and CEO of the Senior Bowl, attended the SJSU game. Here's what he had to say:
"Television and video don't do a quarterback justice, particularly Colt," Hale said. "He has a quick release. His passes have a lot of velocity. He has excellent accuracy. Seeing him in those conditions in San Jose was very impressive. He operated in very adverse conditions. It was as bad a condition as you could put a quarterback in, and he handled it well."
Stephen Tsai writes about the UH players getting excited about the upcoming Scout Bowl.
Yesterday, "coaches" began to create their draft boards. They had to scratch third-string quarterback Inoke Funaki, who was ruled ineligible for the game.

"Anybody I don't want in the game won't be in the game, like the guys who are going to be playing on Saturday nights," commissioner June Jones ruled.

"I'm going to appeal," Funaki said. "The past two years I got to play. I was looking forward to it."
Also from the article: injury updates on Blaze Soares and Le'Marcus Gibson, and news that Colt will blog about the UH receivers for the New York Times.

Brian McInnis writes about the running backs, and Kealoha Pilares in particular.
"We thought he was pretty talented coming out of high school," Suan said. "I think the thing that impressed me the most, that we really didn't know about, was just his people skills and his character. He's got a great work ethic, a passion for the game, he's an attention-to-detail guy. He generally pays really good attention to getting better."

Suan cited Pilares' continuous efforts in the weight and film rooms toward his steady contributions. In particular, he has studied ex-running back Nate Ilaoa's success in both blocking and exploding for huge gains. Granted, "Nasti Nate" weighed nearly twice as much.
Also from the article: Dan Kelly broke Jason Elam's school record for consecutive PATs in a season with 50 so far.

Jason Kaneshiro talks to Herman Frazier, who has a few things to say about Hawaii's BCS hopes.
Frazier was pleased with the Warriors' position in the season's initial rankings and said the first half of the team's schedule, which included two Division I-AA teams, hasn't been a detriment so far.

"I don't think it's holding us back at this point when we show up in the polls at No. 18 in the BCS," Frazier said. "What's helped us is we're 7-0, that's the bottom line."

UH (7-0, 4-0 Western Athletic Conference) is ranked 16th in both of the polls used in the rankings, but 25th by the computer rankings, which factor in strength of schedule.
"I think (No. 18 is) an excellent place to start for us," Frazier said.

"If you look at teams five through 12, they're going to start playing each other and it's going to have a huge effect on our numbers if we're successful in playing one game at a time."
Barring too much leapfrogging of course.

Frazier also wants it known that he was talking to Nebraska about a future game, but with the firing of the athletic director (Nebraska's), that may be in jeopardy.

The UH-SJSU game was seen in 1.3 million households last Friday.

In perhaps a related matter, SJSU is reseeding their football/soccer field.

Ferd Lewis writes about the rarity of a college football team staying undefeated for a whole season.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **