UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Friday, September 28, 2007

Rivers, Lane, Special Teams, Akey, D. Smith

Stephen Tsai writes that Jason Rivers' back injury continues to bother him, and it'll be a gameday decision whether or not he plays. If he can't go, Malcolm Lane will start in his place.
"People know I'm fast, but it doesn't matter," Lane said. "I don't care about that stuff. I care about running hard every play and making the right reads on the football field. Speed is always an advantage, but you have to be smart, too. It showed last year (as a true freshman). I was fast, but I didn't know what I was doing, and it didn't get me anywhere. You can have speed, but if you don't know what you're doing, it doesn't mean anything."
Also from the article:
  • Linebacker Poʻokela Ahmad will redshirt.

  • Details about the personalized t-shirts some players are making.
Dave Reardon writes about some of the UH fans in Idaho. On the same page, Dave and Brian McInnis profile the special teams.
"Dennis has done a great job of tying it all together and creating an attitude amongst the players that special teams is important," Reinebold said. "And not just that, but giving the guys some fundamentals and techniques."

Junior cornerback Guyton Galdeira has found a niche as an outstanding special teams player, blocking on returns and making tackles on kickoffs and punts. He often blocks two defenders on the same play.

"I'm trying to get to three," Galdeira said. "Coach McKnight always talks about taking it to the next level. Once you know your block is secure, you go to the next level and find another one."
In their Sports Notebook, McInnis and Reardon write that Colt Brennan was still hurting, but accurate in practice. Also from the Notebook:
  • Korey Reynolds may be eligible for a medical hardship due to a shoulder injury.

  • Kiran Kepoʻo continues to recuperate from his on-campus bicycle accident.

  • Jared Lene is back with the team after recovering from a viral infection.
Ferd Lewis writes about 1st year Idaho coach Robb Akey.
Robb Akey, who will coach on the sideline opposite UH's June Jones for tomorrow's game, is the third head coach in as many years and fourth in five seasons for the Vandals. Some players are working on their fourth position coaches in as many years.
And the Warrior Insider spoke to defensive back Daniel Smith, who will become a Warrior in 2008..
“I committed so early to Hawaii because I wanted to show the school how much I wanted to become a apart of the team. When I was on my visit I really felt at home and accepted. The thing I am most exited about when I get to Hawaii is my first practice. I just want to get on the field with the team” said Smith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **