UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Monday, September 24, 2007

June Jones Show, 4-0, Graunke, Etc

Irse has this week's June Jones Show up in Windows Media format. And Orlando has it up in Youtube format here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Dave Reardon writes about UH's 4-0 record matching the best start since 1988. He also discusses the most recent polls.
When the polls came out yesterday, Hawaii was 17th (coaches), 18th (Harris) and 19th (AP). Some would think a 56-point victory would mean a bigger jump, but the Warriors are paying the price for having played two Division I-AA teams. From the national perspective, the score could've been 100-0 and the jury would still be out with wins against Northern Colorado, LaTech, UNLV and now Charleston Southern.
And at the end of the article is this week's Warriors Replay. Here's #3, the "bloggers' choice."
3. Untouched

The Setup: Hawaii 21, Charleston Southern 10, 15:00 remaining, third quarter, Charleston Southern kicking off from own 30.
The Play: KR Ryan Mouton gathers the ball at the 10, near the left sideline. He cuts toward the middle, follows a lane and scores untouched.
The Impact: Charleston Southern went into halftime trailing by just 11 and with hopes of pulling off a major upset. Hawaii's third special teams touchdown of the season put a major dent into those aspirations.
Mouton: "Colt (Brennan) told me at halftime, 'I thought you said you were going to run one back for me?' I had to live up to my word."
Stephen Tsai talks to June Jones, Colt Brennan and Tyler Graunke about the jeering Graunke got from some fools in the crowd.
"I didn't hear (the boos) when the game was going on, but I heard it on the (television) replay of the game, and that's kind of disappointing that people would do that," Jones said. "I don't know what would cause people to do that to kids."
"The fans don't see that a lot of mistakes that are pinned on the quarterback aren't necessarily the quarterback's fault," Brennan added. "The fans can't see that. The way our offense has been, and the success we've had, the fans can get a little spoiled."
But Graunke finished with 285 passing yards in three quarters, and he accounted for four touchdowns — three by passing and his 6-yard run.

"I probably didn't win everybody back," Graunke said, "but slowly and surely I will. I guarantee I will."
Ka Leo's Rebecca Gallegos has a quote from C.J. Hawthorne in her game wrap-up.
"I think he's a great football player, and great football players know how to deal with adversity," said UH wide receiver C.J. Hawthorne. "I think with any of us, (when) even your home stadium starts booing, people begin to doubt, you have to dig in deep a little bit. But I believe he persevered."
Ferd Lewis has a few words for those bozos.
Letting Graunke work through his early struggles, gather experience and eventually find his rhythm was the best thing UH could have done. Thankfully, the coaches weren't swayed by a chorus of muddled thinking to the contrary. Including some, no doubt, with a vested interest in the spread.
The Phoenix out of (Tucson) Arizona shall rise in '08!

Tsai's article continues with linebacker Adam Leonard talks about his pick six, his knee, and his motivation. By the way, it wasn't me!
Leonard, who is considered to be the Warriors' best open-field tackler, has found motivation on the Internet. He said he recently was criticized on a Warrior fan's Web site for being out of shape.

"It kind of stings, but it doesn't hurt me," Leonard said. "It won't break me or make me to have fans feel that way. It makes me want to prove them wrong."
Godspeed, Manimal!

Also from Tsai's article, June calls Ryan Mouton "the real deal" and talks about Jason Rivers playing with a bad back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **