UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Sunday, July 15, 2007

Kealoha Pilares / Effin Schedule / NCAA 08

The Star-Bulletin's Jason Kaneshiro profiles running back Kealoha Pilares, who's working hard this offseason. Some excerpts:
When he got on the field for spring practice, the Damien graduate showed he still had the quickness and slippery moves -- which he credits to playing freeze tag in grade school -- that earned him 2005 Star-Bulletin All-State Offensive Player of the Year honors. But he knows his ability to help protect quarterback Colt Brennan will go a long way to determining his playing time this fall.

To that end, he's worked to put on some weight since arriving on campus around 175 pounds. He crept close to 200 pounds earlier this summer before dropping 10 pounds due to an illness. His goal is to be back around 195 when fall camp starts next month.
"Right now I think I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. I can see results. I think that's what's pushing me, too."

One of his high school foes can already see a difference.

"He's been working hard starting from last summer," said freshman quarterback Kiran Kepo'o, an Iolani grad, who also entered the program in the spring. "He's getting bigger, but he's still got the speed. I can tell he's been in the weight room."
With all our talented running backs, I hope June hits up Nate Ilaoa for some plays from the Eagles playbook!

======

Ferd Lewis, with the gloom and doom once again, regarding our awesome schedule. He talks to ESPN's Mark Schlabach:
That's the good news. But, the flip side, he notes in a phone interview, "Playing two I-AA opponents early basically eliminates your chances of a Bowl Championship Series (appearance). I really think Hawai'i dropped the ball (on the schedule) because, to have a guy like Colt Brennan, one of the best college quarterbacks, you'd like to take advantage of the opportunity."

It is not a maverick opinion and, chances are, UH will be hearing a lot about the cream-filled softness of its scheduling lineup this season. With Northern Colorado, Charleston Southern, Idaho, etc., the "softer than a roll of three-ply (tissue)," lines are just getting started. Especially if the Warriors munch through it, notably the early part, as expected.
I have to disagree with Schlabach's assessment that we're basically eliminated from BCS contention. UH will probably start the year in the top 25, or at least the top 30. All they have to do is climb about 15 spots in the course of the season. I think the 4 ESPN appearances will help UH a lot with Harris voters. And as long as the computers don't punish us too much.... well, it'll be tough.

And we are going to hear about it all year long. Just gotta let people know that Michigan and Mississippi State (and probably others) turned down home games against the Warriors. And several teams turned down $700,000 and ESPN exposure for a game at Aloha. And our AD sat on his hands and waited waaayyyy too long. But unfortunately, Herman represents UH, and voters might not be able to separate the two. Errrrghhh. Oh well, as they say, one game at a time....

======

And to end it on a happier note, Stephen Tsai writes that UH is represented well in NCAA 08.
Brennan is listed as the second-best quarterback (behind Louisville's Brian Brohm) in the "NCAA Football 08" video game that will be released Tuesday.

"That's really, really cool," Brennan said. "They took care of us this year."
And Colt now has dreadlocks.
Brennan has made one noticeable change. With prodding from Bess, Brennan is sporting dreadlocks. UH's four starting receivers have the same hairstyle.

"It looks good on him," Bess said.

Brennan said: "All of the guys hounded me. I grew it out. That was the first step. They encouraged me to try and get it braided and see what it looked like, and I did that. They're encouraging me to keep going with it. I'll see how it goes. I can get rid of this haircut in a heartbeat. I thought I'd have some fun this summer and see how it turns out."
As long as he doesn't end up looking like Gary Oldman from True Romance, it's all good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **