UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Friday, October 27, 2006

That's Nasty

Kalani Simpson writes a column about Nate Ilaoa and the way he makes the UH offense go.
And make no mistake. Colt Brennan is in a Rolo zone and Hawaii's receivers are both good and plenty, and the line is playing out of its mind (this line is incredible). This offense would get a lot of yards and a lot of points even without a running threat, that's true. But Ilaoa is the X factor -- he gives it that next-level gear. He's the guy who makes it all go.

Doubt it? Why is it that it looked like those New Mexico State guys looked like they actually wanted to hit him, for once?

"I think they did a better job," Ilaoa says. "I feel like they were spying on me, both linebackers were spying on me, so not that I knew anything, but the ends were kind of two-gapping it, looking in the backfield, waiting for those little screens."

Think about that. That's four guys looking at one guy. You think you have a shot to stop Colt Brennan if that's your defensive scheme?
Stephen Tsai writes that Ikaika Alama-Francis will likely be out for tomorrow's homecoming game due to a lumbar strain. If he is out, Keala Watson will start in his place. Stephen also profiles back-up QB Tyler Graunke.
"My time will come," Graunke said. "I can't complain. I can't take away anything from what Colt's done. I'm waiting, being patient. I'm going to take it where Colt leaves it."

Brennan said: "We're great friends. We're good buddies. We lived together last year. We root each other on. I'm one of his fans when he goes in. He's really a good kid. I always like seeing him go in. He obviously has a bright future here, along with Inoke."
He's gonna rip it up when he gets his chance.

Ferd Lewis writes to the fans who think UH is too good for the Hawaii Bowl.
Those who forget that UH went 9-3 in 2001 and, as its reward, got to watch the bowl games on TV.

Just this month a writer of a letter to the editor of your favorite morning newspaper suggested "playing in UH's own bowl (the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl) is not acceptable anymore."

Judging from calls, e-mails and radio callers, it is a widely held sentiment. And, also a flawed one.

Fact is UH — and its fans — should thank their lucky stars that they have the game in their backyard. Because without it bowl appearances would be few and far between. And those that did manage to come UH's way would otherwise be in Boise, Idaho, or Albuquerque, N.M.
Good column. Nothing's wrong with the Hawaii Bowl. And UH gets to play another game in front of the home crowd. And I'm sure all the tourism officials like it when ESPN shows shots of Waikiki, since half the audience is probably freezing their butts off.

Dave Reardon writes that the internet is changing the way June Jones recruits. But there's this section towards the bottom of the article which I'm most excited about:
(Herman) Frazier also said he expects to make an announcement "within the next two weeks" regarding next season's football schedule. The Warriors have only one (at UNLV, Sept. 15) of a possible five nonconference games set.
Well maybe excited is not the word. Maybe it's anxious. Or maybe a mix of the two that I'm going to call anxcited. Let's hope it's a good announcement. Ideally, we're still playing Michigan State along with a couple big name schools. I hope we're not playing any Division I-AA teams and I definitely hope we're not playing TWO Division I-AA teams. Next year is gonna be a HUGE year for UH, and I hope we play some great teams. Let's do it Herman!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **