UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, August 17, 2006

Receivers

Eric Shaffer, a wide receiver from Arkansas who is joining the Warriors next year, is really really fast.
Shaffer is the AAA state champion in the 100-meter run and posted the fastest 100-meter time in the state this year. He was also electronically timed in the 40-yard-dash at 4.31.
My goodness.

In current Warrior news, Stephen Tsai has a great profile of slotback Jason Ferguson, who is rehabbing from a torn ACL. He's someone with a lot of strength and desire, and you can't help rooting for him.
"As of right now, because of the two surgeries, the arthritis I'll have in my knee will be substantial," Ferguson said. "I'll deal with the risk. It's something I want that bad. I'm going to have to tell my (future) kids: 'I love you, but I'm going to have throw you the ball, and you're going to have to bring it back to me.' I'm fine with that.

"I'm so close. I can't walk away now. Until I can't run anymore, until my brain can't comprehend this offense, that's what it will take for me to give it up. I don't want to be an old man asking: 'Why did I quit? Why did I quit when I was so close?' I'll be limping around when I'm an old man, but I'll worry about that then."
Let's hope Jason can come back and give defenders nightmares.

In the meantime, Dave Reardon and Jason Kaneshiro write that UH is incredibly deep at receiver and may rotate more than they did in the past. Luckily, it doesn't appear that there's a selfish one in the bunch. Colt can distribute to anybody without worry because they're all team players, they all have talent, and they'll be everywhere on the field! The defenses can't key on anyone! There's Bess, Rivers, RGM, Bain, Mock, Sample, Washington, Dickerson, and later on Ferguson along with others waiting in the wings. This offense is gonna be awesome! And when everybody's worried about covering the receivers, BOOM! Nasty and the Juggernaut will be there to rumble over some unsuspecting fools! Cannot wait! Can you tell I'm drinking coffee?!?!

Speaking of the Hawaii offense, Alabama is looking for people to pressure the QB as they get ready for the Warriors.
"One of our goals will be to try to get us about 10 guys who can rush the passer that first game," Tide defensive coordinator Joe Kines said. "You can break down our schedule at the first three or four games, and if we can't find some pass rushers, it'll be a long get-go here."

Maybe, just maybe, Kines is giving Vanderbilt, Louisiana-Monroe and Arkansas, foes Nos. 2 through 4 for the Crimson Tide, a little too much credit. But no one doubts the propensity for the pass that Hawaii has, making the unique challenge of the season-opener worth dissecting even as the Tide isn't even halfway through with preseason practice.
The Warriors have an amazing offensive line, so Bama may have to blitz to get to Colt, which will just free up more receivers. And Colt can scramble too, which will make it a little tougher. Should be a good battle to watch.

And finally, this article by Jason Kaneshiro has an injury update, which I won't post since there's a lot of news. It doesn't appear that any of the injuries are too serious, which is good. Just bumps and bruises and strains you expect to get in training camp. But that article also mentions how the offensive line celebrated Colt Brennan's birthday.
Brennan turned 23 yesterday, and was hoping his birthday would pass without much fuss.

"I wanted to keep it low-key so I don't get beat up too much," the Warrior quarterback said after practice.

So much for that idea.

Seconds after the words left his mouth, offensive linemen Samson Satele and Dane Uperesa snuck behind Brennan and doused him with a bucket brimming with ice water.
That just means they like him! It's all good. Happy birthday to Colt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **