UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Thursday, August 10, 2006

Offense and Defense

The Star-Bulletin's Jason Kaneshiro has news from fall camp. The offense matched up against the defense for the first time, and it sounds like it went well.
Overall, UH coach June Jones came away with a positive outlook on the team's first test of the fall.

"We looked faster on both sides of the ball," Jones said. "The kids really worked out hard, we looked faster and quicker, and I think some of that comes with knowing what to do.

"There's always good competition. The defense understands what (defensive coordinator) Jerry (Glanville) expects of them and they have a year in the system."
And good to hear about Jason Rivers, back from last year's moped injury and academic issues.
"Physically, I think I'm a little better than I was, but I'm more focused on the mental part of it," said Rivers, who missed all of last season after posting 973 yards and seven touchdowns in 2004. "The faster you are mentally, the faster you move on the field.

"I'm seeing what my legs are ready to do, how good my legs feel, and they felt pretty good."
Stephen Tsai also has news from camp, including Tala Esera talking about his match-up against a beefed up, yet still quick, Ikaika Alama-Francis.
"Everybody loves to watch the one-on-ones," Esera said. "I love to be in them, and I love to go against Ikaika. He's so tough. He has so many moves. Now he's bigger. I used to hate to go against him because he would use his speed to run upfield. Now he's bulked up. Now he can engage. He can do all kinds of stuff. It makes me better. He provides a good challenge."
I think Ikaika is gonna dominate this year.

Tsai also notes the makings of a tentative depth chart as he watched the first teams practice against one another. Read the article for the details. I'll post an official depth chart when it's released. He also has the scoops on incoming cornerback Keenan Jones, who will join the Warriors tomorrow or Saturday after getting the required JC credits.

And finally an injury report from both articles:

  • Solomon Elimimian and Jacob Patek did not practice due to dehydration. Patek apparently was hospitalized, so hope he's okay.

  • Brashton Satele is still recovering from a thigh bruise and did not practice.

  • Jason Ferguson tweaked his knee and will be out until Monday.

  • Erik Peterson has a hamstring injury and also won't practice until next week.
  •