UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Sunday, August 27, 2006

Keenan, Patek, Solomon, Hauula

Stephen Tsai writes that Keenan Jones might end up traveling to Alabama after all.
...he already has been placed on the tentative travel roster for Saturday's season-opener against Alabama. UH coach June Jones said a final decision will be made after tomorrow's morning practice.

"The thing is, he might not be able to contribute on defense this game, but he might be able to contribute on special teams."
Keenan has been down a long and complicated road, which is detailed in that Stephen Tsai article. Dave Reardon details how Jason Ferguson and Davone Bess helped Keenan out while he waited for the news. The players on this team are awesome. I'm sure everyone is glad it's over with and can now totally focus on football.

The Tsai article also has details of players who will probably go on the trip. The offense is mostly settled on, but since the defense has had so many injuries, a lot of it is up in the air.

And John Fonoti says he has learned a lesson in regards to academics, and will try to come back next year.
"I really messed up in the summer, even the spring time," Fonoti said. "Like the coaches say, 'It's a wake-up call.' I have to get better at it. I have to focus."

After this year, Fonoti will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.

"I really want to thank coach Jones for giving me a second chance," Fonoti said. "I took things for granted last year. I'll be back."
Good to hear. Last year, he was a monster on special teams and should be able to contribute at linebacker.

======

Stephen Tsai has a Sunday interview with starting strong safety Jacob Patek. He talks about people getting adjusted to his name.
(Defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville) calls me all kinds of stuff. He'll ask, 'What's your first name?' I'll say, 'Jacob,' and he'll say, 'Oh, no, we've got to change that. We can't have that.' He'll call me '31' or he'll call me 'Pak.' I'm not sure why he calls me 'Pak.' It sounds like he lost a few letters.

"Usually everybody calls me 'Jake.' Ikaika calls me 'Pater' instead of 'Patek.' I don't know why he does that. He's Ikaika.
That's pretty funny. Go read the entire interview to find out how hard a worker he is. Can't wait to see him on the field.

======

Kalani Simpson has a column about the defense learning Jerry Glanville's complicated schemes. Solomon Elimimian is the man when it comes to that.
Elimimian is the shining light. He's the prodigy. He's the brain.

There wouldn't be a worry if there were 11 41s.

It was Elimimian who passed every pop quiz last season, eventually starting 10 times as a true freshman, making 83 stops. A lot of kids on campus his age were still trying to find the library. Elimimian was reading Jerry Glanville's complicated pro playbook like it was "See Spot Run."

"Forty-one is not a freshman," Glanville would say again and again, always amazed. The kid had the brain of a third-year pro.
He's gonna be the leader of this defense in the next few years, if he isn't already.

======

Jason Kaneshiro writes about the Hauula connection between offensive tackles Dane Uperesa and Tala Esera. UH is gonna have an awesome offensive line this year. We usually do, but this one feels extra special. They're gonna provide a lot of opportunity for Colt to work his magic, as well as open big holes for the running backs, who will definitely get more rushes this year. I'm just guessing on the last part, but how can they not? Maybe that's the secret weapon. Okay, sssshhhhhh! I'll shut up about it. It'll be our little secret!

======

Okay, I can't shut up about the running backs. They're gonna be frickin awesome this year! We got The Nasty, we got The Juggernaut, we got The Farmer, we got The Jazen, we got The Siave, we got The Laumoli. And I really hope Khevin Peoples scores a touchdown this year so Jim Leahey can say, "You've been taken to the Peoples Court!"

Hooo, that would be awesome! It would be awesomer still if this was followed by a Reagan Mauia touchdown on the next series and Jim Leahey shouted, "The Juggernaut was most certainly a massive, inexorable force on that play! CAN. YOU. BELIEVE IT?!" If Jim Leahey said that, I would most certainly be raptured up to heaven then and there. I can totally picture him saying it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **