UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Friday, August 28, 2009

WitP: Colt Brennan

Colt Brennan was 6 of 12 for 81 yards tonight against the Patriots. He did throw an interception that was returned 99 yards for a TD, but he followed that up by throwing a beautiful 33-yard touchdown pass to Marko Mitchell in the next series. Colt and Jason Campbell were the only two Washington QBs to play in the game. Their final preseason game is at Jacksonville next Thursday.

UPDATE: Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post's DC Sports Bog has a great article about Colt, with lots of quotes from after the game.
"Pretty abysmal," Brennan said, describing how he was cussing himself out even as he tried to chase down cornerback Jonathan Wilhite. "I couldn't believe it when it happened. It was kind of surreal for a second. I was like, 'Not again...Are you serious?' "

And then he walked to the sidelines, and walked into the warm embrace of Interceptions Anonymous, Redskins style. Casey Rabach came up to offer a word of encouragement. So did Chris Cooley. So did Jim Zorn. And so did every quarterback on the roster, from Daniel to Todd Collins to Jason Campbell.

"I mean, these are guys you're competing with, and they're rooting for you," Brennan said with a shake of his head. "I mean, that's pretty impressive, considering it's the NFL, [considering] it's such a business
And it wasn't just guys on the offensive side, either. Several defenders, including cornerback Fred Smoot, came up to Brennan after the interception, urging him to forget about the past and find some success before the night ended.

"That's my guy, man, that's my guy," Smoot said. "I love Colt Brennan, man. You know what? There's some guys that's born to do what they're doing, and they just get the perfect name, the perfect everything. He's one of those guys to me. He just reminds me of Brett so much. I've been around Brett Favre so long, and I see a lot of Brett in Colt. I feel like I've got to look out for him and take care of him. That's my guy."
And another really nice quote from Smoot:
"Think he can play? I think he's gonna be great," Smoot said. "I don't say that about a lot of players. Put it like this, the Falcons traded Brett Favre years ago. I just hope we don't make that mistake."
UPDATE 2: KHON has footage of the pick and TD pass, starting at around three minutes in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

** Back to the Main Page **