UH Football Fan Blog (where's my banner?)

 Subscribe

This fan blog is unaffiliated in any way with the University of Hawaii or the Warriors football team.

Privacy Policy


Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Warriors in the Pros: Week in Review

Okay, I'm back! And looks like I missed a lot of stuff. First off, via H20 on SportsHawaii.com, Redskins teammates Colt Brennan and Chris Cooley perform a skit. At least I hope it's a skit.



During Washington's recent minicamp, Colt had some pineapples delivered.



On the field, Colt practiced throwing in mid-air.



LizKauai has more Colt Brennan minicamp photos.

A couple more Redskins.com minicamp reports can be found here and here.
  • Brennan, using the fast sidearm release that he has used his entire career, completed a touch pass to undrafted rookie tight end Robert Agnone.
  • Later, Brennan rolled left and tossed a pass to Fred Davis along the sideline. Tough play--rolling left and passing on the run is not Brennan’s natural throwing motion. Davis was open enough--ahead of Kevin Barnes--to make the catch.
Ferd Lewis had a column about the opportunities Colt may have this year.

John Keim of the Washington Examiner had an article titled, Colt is full of confidence.
He heard the names of the quarterbacks desired by the Redskins. He understood. It's the business, after all. There's one name he didn't hear: his own. That he did not understand.

Colt Brennan is only a No. 3 quarterback. He's also one with a lot of confidence.

"In all the quarterback talk not once did anyone mention my name," Brennan said. "That drove me. This year I've got to work to get to the point where I hope one day I get the chance to be out there to say, 'Look, dude, I'm a guy you people should look at.'"
John Pappas of Skinscast.com profiled Brennan.
"This is the first time I’ve been healthy in a year and a half on a football field," he said. "I’ve had a major hip surgery and a small knee surgery and now I just got done with my rehabilitation on my knee. I haven’t felt healthy for a long time. When I played in the preseason last year I was 80-90 percent. I wasn’t even close to being completely healthy whereas this year when I get in preseason I should be completely 100 percent and should be a lot different quarterback on that football field."
David Elfin of The Washington Times talked to the Redskins backup QBs, including Colt.
"What Coach has really done is try to slowly make it a little bit more orthodox, but he hasn't taken away what I'm really confident about, and that's getting the ball from point A to point B," Brennan said. "Last year I was put to the test: 'Is this kid an NFL quarterback?' I think I passed that test. This year, it's up to me to prove I can move up the depth chart and build towards a future where I can hopefully be a starting quarterback in the NFL."
::::::

Steve Doerschuk of CantonRep.com profiled David Veikune.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer profiled Veikune as well.
Mangini was impressed with what he saw from Veikune in the first two practices.

"He's fluid for someone his size and for someone who's had limited exposure to standing up," said Mangini. "In the bag drills, he went through more like a linebacker than a defensive end." Mangini may have reached a little for Veikune in the second-round -- some experts pegged him for the third- or fourth- round -- but was sold on his tenacity.

"I love the guy's motor," said Mangini. "This guy's got toughness, aggressiveness and a smoothness to the way that he changes directions and run games. I think he could play both outside and inside for us moving forward."
Mangini was also impressed with Veikune's smarts.
Outside linebacker David Veikune, the Browns' second-round pick from the University of Hawaii, cost Mangini some money Saturday morning.

Mangini said he brought Veikune to the white board with the task of drawing up a full blitz.

''The defensive staff had the option to bet on him and I was the house,'' Mangini said. ''He nailed it. I'm always happy to pay those.''
Orange and Brown Blogs has a press conference transcript with more quotes from Eric Mangini.

ClevelandBrowns.com has video of Veikune talking to the press. They also have an audio interview from Draft Day.

::::::

Christopher Price of WEEI.com has an interview with Jake Ingram and some of the other Patriots rookies.

::::::

The Tennessean had an article about Ryan Mouton taking it easy during the Titans' minicamp.
Hawaii cornerback Ryan Mouton, who initially injured his hamstring at the NFL combine in February, was limited during Friday afternoon’s rookie minicamp practice at Baptist Sports Park.

Mouton tested his leg in individual drills, running with no visible issues. Later, though, he watched as the rest of the defensive backs faced receivers in passing drills.

Mouton is “probably a couple weeks away” from being healthy, Coach Jeff Fisher said.
::::::

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune profiled guard Kynan Forney.
But the Chargers are excited by his athleticism, strength and little bit of a nasty streak. And after a year on the sideline – active just three times and never playing – it is clear by the edge in his words that Forney has no intention of watching another year go by.

Despite believing he eventually would provide an upgrade from Goff, the Chargers did not make a lineup move last season.

“The way things were,” Turner said, “we had a veteran group that had been together.”

Said Forney: “It was difficult last year, I ain't going to lie. It was hard, being used to playing.”

He and Turner agree that he is much better positioned to make an impact now that he's had a season to learn the Chargers' terminology and participate in meetings and practices. And being able to learn during an offseason, everyone believes, will prove valuable as well.
::::::

Meanwhile, Jaguars guard Vince Manuwai continues his slow recovery from last season's torn ACL.
First-rounder Eugene Monroe is obviously an immediate plug-in at left tackle and Britton could play guard early because Vince Manuwai has a long way to go in his rehab from ACL surgery. The gap Manuwai has to close was noticeable as Manuwai ran sprints off to the side as the team practiced.
::::::

49ers defensive end Isaac Sopoaga may also rotate at nose tackle this season.

::::::

The Victoria Advocate has a profile of former UH safety Jacob Patek.
The Memorial High School graduate recently signed a two-year contract with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League.

"I'm excited," said Patek, who is staying in Denton until he reports to training camp on June 3. "This is something I wanted to do coming out of my senior season."
Patek is expected to play linebacker for Hamilton, which is coming off a 3-15 season. The Tiger-Cats open the season on June 17 and play through November, which will be a change for Patek, who never played a game in college in temperatures lower than 50 degrees.

"Coach Jones said to go to Canada for two years and get some film," Patek said. "He said it will be easier for me to get established."
::::::

Davone Bess was among the Miami Dolphins' veterans that addressed the rookies at the end of Dolphins' rookie camp.

::::::

And it looks like Reagan Mauia is on the Cincinnati Bengals' pre-training camp depth chart.